You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00064 Apr 2004

Apr 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Parthasarathi thunai

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Sri Vara Vara munayE Namaha

Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Sri gOdhA nAchiyar in her wonderful nAchiyar thirumozhi says, ?semmai vudaiya thiruarangar paniththa meimaiperuvArthai vittuchittar kEttu eruppar? (11-10).  Here ?meimai peruvArththai? refers to Srimad bhagavat geetha only and that was given by thiruarangar who is none other than parthasarathi.  Andal here says ?vittuchittar kettueruppar? it is not an _expression_ of doubt but she establishes that her dear father practiced the words of the geethacharyan.  Vittuchittar, Periazhvar kettu-listened to the divine words of geethacharyan eruppar-and practiced the same in reality.  Andal is referred to as ?Anju kudi koru sandhadhi? these words she expressed about her father is applicable to all the azhvars.  The greatest positive in our sampradayam is that all our azhvars and acharyas preached only what they practiced and hence it is not amazing to see the reflection of the words of geethacharya in the arulicheyals of azhvars.  In this series of posting we are trying to exactly enjoy only a tit bit from the anubhavam of the kadai kutti azhvar.   As per our acharyas, whatever thirumangai azhvar says is only a recollection of the previous azhvars who followed the vedas and geethAcharyan and gave the same with a base of anubhavams.  The vedas, upanishads and geetha sastramum are filled with tattvas and hence spread the fragrance of knowledge whereas the azhvars spread the same fragrance in the form of a beautiful flower of bhakthi to the divine feet of emperuman.  Hence the arulicheyal of azhvars are celebrated as ?tattvadarisi vachanam?.  From the life history of thirumangai azhvar we see that vayalAli manavalan attracted azhvar with his beauty first and then only gave him the knowledge via the thirumanthram.  After obtaining the thirumanthra upadesam azhvar says, ?nalam tarum sollai nAn kandu kondEn nArAyana ennum nAmam?.  Here azhvar says kandu-kondEn I first saw and then obtained.  In a similar way azhvar expresses his joy of seeing in his thiruvallikeni padhigam.  At the end of each and every paasuram in this decade azhvar says, ?thiruvallikeni kandEnE?.   Did azhvar only see parthasarathi in thiruvallikeni? Yes the very sight gives the knowledge; the geethAcharya roopam itself drives the divine intricate meanings of bhagavat geetha into our minds.

The first chapter of geetha starts with the sound of panchajanyam and ends with the utterance of charama slokam.  Sri Venkata krishnan in thiruvallikeni holds the divine conch in his right hand and the left hand shows us his divine feet indicating ?sarva darmAn parityajya mAm Ekam sharaNam vraja aham tvAm sarva pApEbhyO mOksha ishyAmi mA sucha:? The rest of the thirumeni of emperuman covers the rest of geetha.   That is why thirumangai azhvar jumps with joy and sings ?Oh! I have seen in thiruvallikeni? what? Not only the beauty of emperuman but the whole Srivaishnava tattvam, hitam and purushArtham.  Let us now proceed to enjoy the thirunedunthAndaka paasuram.

(punarluruvAi) After talking about the greatness of emperuman azhvar now proceeds to talk about his sowlabhyam (easily accessibility).  If emperuman has such greatness then is it that we cannot even go near him? No he is sarva sulaban like the water in a river that is accessible to both great rishis like vasista and the lowest of the lowest born chandAla emperuman is common to all.  Again thirumangai azhvar saw this also in thiruvallikeni.  While the moolavar stands filled with gAmbeeryam like a divine warrior the utsava moorthi stands with the wounds in his face due to the arrows of bheesma that emperuman accepted happily for the sake of his dear bhaktha arjuna.  This indicates that emperuman who is undoubtedly the master of all will go to the extend of even becoming a charioteer to save his dear bhaktha and work like his slave.  What a great sowlabhyam!

(analuruvil thigazhum)  If emperuman becomes so easily accessible then will not his enemies try to harm him?  Azhvar now due to his great love for emperuman starts to fear about his safety.  That brings to his memory the words of the sastras.  He might be sarva sulabhan that is only due to his sankalpam (wish).  If people come in front of him with hard feelings wanting to hurt him then he becomes like a fire to them.  Mostly emperuman has so much krupai that he forgives all the mistakes committed to him considering everyone to be his son/daughter.  But one thing emperuman cannot forgive is bhAgavatAbhachAram.  Emperuman burns those who do bhAgavadhAbhacharam.  So he is like a fire to his enemies (enemy to his devotee as emperuman considers even ravana to be his brother, being the brother of vibeeshana) and as cool as a cucumber to his devotees.  Sastras declare soorya and chandra to be the two eyes of emperuman.  With one eye he burns his enemies (nigraham) and with the other he gives a soothing look to his devotees (anugraham).  How is it possible to do both at the same time?  Periyavachan pillai explains the same with an example.  A lion feeds its cub even while it fights vigorously with an elephant.  With respect to the elephant the lion behaves as an enemy whereas at the same time it shows its motherly love towards its cub.  Similarly emperuman took narasimhAvatara to kill hiranyA and at the same time shower his love on bhaktha prahlAda.  So both punaluru and analuru is emperuman.

(jOdhi) The glitter of all the lamps in this world is due to emperuman.  He is the ultimate power.  In geetha emperuman declares his vibhootis in the tenth chapter where he says, ?AdhithyAnAm aham vishnu: jOdhishAm ravi ramsumAn? (10-21) and Arjuna in the very start of the adhyAyam celebrates emperuman as ?param brahma param dhAma pavitram paramam bhavAn? (10-12) Here param dhAma means the supreme glitter (jOdhi).  Following the words of arjuna kaliyan calls emperuman as ?jOdhi?.  In the previous posting itself we enjoyed the same usage by swamy nammazhvar in his divine thiruvaimozhi.

In the next posting we will enjoy how azhvar explains his relationship with the paramAtma.

 (To be continued)

Azhvar EmperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharanam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan

Yahoo! Groups Links

Home Page