You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00073 Apr 2004

Apr 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Time management post 3

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

In the time management series of two posts sent, I just postponed the
thirumaalai paasuram earlier for want of space. Now we will discuss that
wonderful paasuram. Aazhvaar teaches us how we should not spend time saying "I
am spending my time like this - hey, who read this, do not do like me". Is it
really that way he spent his time - is the high point. [If really has spent his
time that way, after so many years, perhaps, we will not be discussing this
verse here, that too in serious lists of srivaishNavaas]

pOdhellaam pOdhu koNdu un ponnadi punaiya maattEn
theedu ilaa mozhigaL koNdu un thirugguNam seppa maattEn
kaadhalaal nenjam anbu kalandhilEn adhu thannaalE
EdhilEn arangarkku, ellE, en seivaan, thOnRinEnE. --- 26 thirumaalai

pOdhu ellaam un ponnadi pOdhu koNdu punaiya maatten - in all the time available
at my disposal, I place no flowers at your feet and thereby worship you - means
my time management is a waste - for what I am doing is some thing else than
what I am expected to do as your servant, oh lord ranga.

pOdhu ellaam koNdu theedhu ilaa mozhigaL koNdu un thiruk guNam cheppa maattEn -
in all time available at my disposal, I speak no good characters of yours, oh
lord ranga - means - again my time management is a waste, for what I am
supposed to talk about you - your kalyaaNa guNams - that  is not what I am
doing.

pOdhu ellaam koNdu  kaadhalaal nenjam anbu kalandhu ilEn - in all time
available at my disposal, I do not mix my heart with the love of you, oh lord
ranga, - means yet again my time management is a waste - for what I am doing is
not what I am expected to do.

Oh, I am born - for what use - oh ranga - ranganaathaa - my Krishna - what is
the use, why not teach me better time management and guide me to do good
things.

By wasting my time - doing all these - now I have realized this is NOT the way,
I have to manage my time. So why not teach me better time management, for
already I realised that
*       my life is of 100 years
*       out of which 50 is spent in sleep,
*       15 is spent in younger days,
*       even in rest the time is wasted as fulfilling needs of hunger disease
old age etc
- so it is better that I do not want this birth itself. [That is the meaning of
the verse given below]

vEdha nool piraayam nooru manisar thaam puguvarElum
paadiyum uRangip pOgum ninRadhil padhinaiyaaNdu
pEdhai baalaganadhaagum piNi pasi mooppu thunbam
aadhalaal piRavi vENden aranga maa nagaruLaanE

Now see here another verse from another aazhvaar who says how he manages his
time.
yaanE thavam seidhEn Ezh piRappum eppozhudhum
yaanE thavam udaiyEn emperumaan yaanE
irum thamizh nanmaalai iNaiyadikkE sonnEn
perum thamizhan nallEn peridhu. 74 - irandaam thiruvandhaadhi

There are many persons who claims I am the tamil saviour - but simply aazhvaar
says "I am that 'perum thamizhan' - for I speak the thamizh nanmaalai to your
unparalleled feet oh my lord'. How it is?
*       I manage my time better by doing penance on your feet in this life.
*       Not only in this life, but, even in my previous seven lives, I have
accumulated penance on your feet oh my lord.
*       I always do penance on your feet by uttering very wonderful thamizh
poems.
*       So I have become good, and also become elated.

See another aazhvaar now
sollum thanaiyum thozhumin vizhum udambu
sellum thanaiyum thirumaalai nal idhazhth
thaamaththaal vElviyaal thandhiraththaal mandhiraththaal
naamaththaal EththudhirEl nanRu -73 mudhal thiruvandhaadhi

now comes another advise - hey folks [-or bhakthaas - otherwise which general
folk is going to listen to this verse],
*       instead of talking simply and wasting time, thozhumin - do worship- who
to worship - thirumaalai - that supreme lord krishNa.
*       You know pretty well this body is going to go - before that use good
flowers and make garlands and place them at his feet.
*       Not only that - carry out yagnaas,
*       do some work as service to Him.
*       recite manthraas
*       if all these not known then at least recite his naamas and spend your
life time.

Then the time spent is nanRu - well - good.

Oh, krishNa, please allow me to spend time usefully in reciting your name -
krishNa, krishNa.

 Dhaasan

Vasudevan m.g.

PS: dear bhakthaas thank you for your time - in enjoying that krishNa.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/XUWolB/TM