You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00177 Apr 2007

Apr 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:

Dear SrI Ranganatha BhakthAs :

There has always been questions about the exact
"birth star" of the Svayam Vyaktha Moorthy , Lord
RanganAthan of Sriranga Dhivya dEsam .

I would like to share with you some of the recent
discussions on the subject and the reconciliation of the two
points of view .

The discussion has been between myself , Sriman Murali Bhattar
of Srirangam ( http://www.srirangapankajam.org ) and
SrI A.M.R.Kannan , who is knowledgable about
Srirangam traditions .

Please enjoy  this trialog .

SrI RanganAthO Jayathi ,
V.Sadaghopan

1. Sriman A.M.R. KaNNan's Excellent case for RohiNi
 Regarding , SriRangam Periya Perumal's Thirunakshatram, adiyen heard
 from Sri KrishnaPremi Swamigal (Sri Anna) and Sri Velukkudi Krishnan
 Swami (Sri Ranga Mahathmyam upanyasams) that Sri Periya Perumal along
 with SriRanga Vimanam and Gayathri Mantapam first appeared to Sri
 Brahma on the shores of Ksheerabhdhi on the day of Dvithiyai in the
 month of Iyppasi when the ascendant being Rohini. It seems that during
 our Purvacharya's time that there was a big festival celebrated in
 Srirangam during this time. In Periya Thirumozhi ThiruNaraiyur pasuram
 commentary Sri Periyavachchan Pillai, mentions "like the big festival
 of Iyppasi" which gives us some evidence about the big festival during
 the month of Iyppasi. Even now during the month of Iyppasi, Perumal
 will have the Dolothsavam. Usually dolai means the swing or the
 cradle. Not sure whether that is the reason why Perumal has gold pot
 (Thanga Kudam) thirumanjanam during the month of Iyppasi as well as
 Dolothsavam since his Avatharam happen in that month. In Srirangam
 adiyen heard that when Bhattar was born, Perumal sent his golden pot with
 his Theertham and adiyen believe that still that tradition continues
 for the Bhattar's Thiruvamsam in Srirangam. Similarly, the Aathi
 Brahmothsavam celebrated during the month of Panguni is also mentioned
 in SriRanga Mahathmyam.

 But then, how did Revathi has become the star of SriRanganatha?
 According to Satha Adhyayi (Sri Garuda puranam) and Dasa Adhyayi (Sri
 Brahmanda Puranam), that Perumal came to SriRangam on the day of
 Panguni Revathi. Sri Dharmavarma was the King who was ruling the
 Chozha kingdom at that time and he requested Sri Vibhishana (who
 stopped over in SriRangam to perform his Madhyahnikam), that Sri
 Vibhishana along with SriRanga Vimanam should stay in SriRangam.
 Revathi was the star, when Periya Perumal, SriRanga Vimanam and
 Gayathri Mantapam came to Sesha Peetam. (We need to remember that the
 name SriRangam came into existence only after SriRanganatha came here.
 Before that it used to be known as Sesha Peetam, please refer to Swami
 Desikan's Hamsa Sandhesa sloka 45).  The next day is Ashvini and the
 day after is Bharani. On the day of Bharani, the purvangam for the
 Aathi Brahmothsavam starts with Thirumulai and the next day is
 Ankurarpanam (called Nagara Sodhanai with Senai Mudaliyar) and on the
 day of Rohini, Dwaja Aarohanam will be performed. According to Sri
 Pancharatra Agama, the annual festival either has to start on a
 deity's star or end on a deity's star. The Aathi Brahmothsavam starts
 on Rohini and ends on Uthiram day. Therefore it is the uthsavam for
 both Perumal and Thayar. Since, Perumal's uthsavam is performed
 explicitly; Thayar's uthsavam is kept as ekantham. So, the Aathi
 Brahmothsavam is the unique festival where both Perumal and Thayar
 thirunakshatrams are celebrated. Also adiyen thinking that normally
 auspicious activities will not be started on the day of Bharani and
 Karthigai nakshatras. The usual reason would be, since these stars'
 athidevadhas were Yama and Agni, anything that starts during these
 stars would be destroyed. Probably that may not be the correct reason.
 These are the days (even now) most of the festivals would start in
 Srirangam and hence our elders do not want to start anything when
 Periya Perumal's uthsavams start. Adiyen is very sure that learned
 scholars can give more detailed explanations.

 Adiyen Kannan

(2) V.Sadagopan's Input : In defense of RohiNi
********************** ***************
 The Moolavar at Srirangam is DaamOdhara KrishNan
 with the welt marks from His mother's tying Him up
 to a mortar . The Utsavar is traditionally recognized as
 Sri Raamachandra . The attribution of RohiNi nakshathram
 might have arisen from the links of the Moolavar to Cheshtais
 as Bala KrishNan ( KaNNinuNN SiRutthApinAl kattuNNa patta
 PerumAyan ) .

NamO Sri RanganAthAya ,
V.Sadagopan
http://www.ahobilavalli
Tribute to Revathi avathAran In
Sri Ranganatha Mahima Volume I

(3) Sri MuraLi Battar's original question