You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00000 Apr 2008

Apr 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

NOTE: Readers having difficulty in reading the text may need to change their
encoding to UTF-8.
--------------
srI:
SrI  UpakAra  Sangraham - III (16)
--
niryANa adikAram
--
 Section - 10: SrI NammAzhvAr reveals all these so far described, in the first
verse of his work, Thiruviruttham.
----
Sub-section: 1- Word-by-word meaning of the first verse (continued)
----
        SwAi Desikan continues with the word-by-word commentary:
âninRu kEttaruLAiâ â âavAvaRac coozhnthAiâ ennumpadi nAn avAvaRRu
veedu peRumaLavum anyanAkAthE abhimukhnaik koNdu kETTaruLAi.
        SrI NammAzhvAr asks the Lord, âPlease stand and listen to me!â  He
wants the Lord to stop for a little time, so that he can tell Him what is in
his mind.  Swami Desikan explains this beautifully:
 ââavAvaRac coozhnthAiâ ennumpadi nAn avAvaRRu veedu peRumaLavum
anya-paran-AkAthE abhimukhnaik  koNdu  kETTaruLAi.â â
        The AzhvAr wants the Lord to listen to his words till all his desires
are exhausted. SwAmi Desikan quotes a passage from the AzhvArâs own verse:
âavAvaRac coozhnthAiâ â You covered me up quenching my yearning.
(ThiruvAimozhi, 10-10-10). How big was his yearning? The AzhvAr says:
 âchoozhnthakanRu Azhnthuyarntha mudivil perum pAzhEyO
  choozhnthathanil periya para nan malarc-chOtheeyO
  choozhnthathanil periya chudar j~nAna inbamEyO
  choozhnthathanil periya ennavA aRac choozhnthAyE.â
        This verse contains an interesting dialogue between the AzhvAr and the
Lord. If we follow the dialogue, we can fully realize the message of the verse.
        The AzhvAr has been yearning to join the Lord for so long a time,
without the Lord responding. At last one day the Lord appears before the
AzhvAr.
The Lord: Why are you calling Me all the time?
AzhvAr: Oh Lord! AdiyEn has been yearning for you so much.
The Lord: How much is your love for Me?
AzhvAr: It is larger than this large prakruti, which is larger than Mahat,
ahankAra and all the space and is infinite.
The Lord: Oh, Your love for me is that big? You know, My svaroopa (Form) is
vibhoo, larger than this moola-prakruti (pAzh â known as Tamas). I am beyond
it. (Tamasah parastAt!)
AzhvAr: Oh Lord! The intensity of AdiyEnâs love is bigger than that, Lord!
The Lord: Is it so? Do you know my knowledge â consciousness, known as
dharma-bhoota-j~nAnaâis larger than My svaroopa?
AzhvAr: Oh Lord! My deep love for You is still bigger!
The Lord: Oh AzhvAr! Are you aware of My love for you? Now, you yourself see,
it is larger than your love for Me. I am yearning more than you do. See it for
yourself.
AzhvAr: Oh My Lord! What a sight! Your love for me has enveloped mine totally.
All my yearnings have been drowned in yours. You have covered me up and
quenched my yearning. AdiyEn has become a drop in Your vast nectar-like love.
My longest ever ambition is now totally fulfilled!
        This is going to happen later after the AzhvAr completes his mission
for which he has been sent by the Lord to this world. But, now he is at the
beginning of his mission.
        Even now, the AzhvAr is full of love for the Lord. So, he says,
according to SwAmi Desikan:
 ânAn avAvaRRu veedu peRumaLavum anyanAkAthEâ  -- Until I attain mOkSha
after getting my yearning fully satisfied, You should remain here before me
without turning towards anywhere else.
The Lord asks him: What do you want Me to do?
AzhvAr: âabhimukhnaik koNdu kETTaruLAiâ  -- You should look at me and
kindly listen to what adiyEn says.
        SwAmi Deikan gives another interpretation:
âmeininRu  ennavumAm;â â It can also be like this:
âappOthu nee avatharitthathellAm saprayOjanamAmpadi un avatAra-vigrahatthOdE
âoru nAL kANvArAiâ enRu irukkiRa enakku prakaSitthu ninRu enkiRathu.â â
Then the meaning of what Azhvar says will be this:
âYou should stand before me, so that the purpose of all Your incarnations
will be fulfilled. For that, You should stand before me in the same form of
Yours as You took the incarnation.
The Lord asks the AzhvAr: Why so?
AzhvAr: ââoru nAL kANvArAiâ enRu irukkiRa enakku prakaSitthu ninRuâ â
        AdiyEn has been longing for your appearance before me, calling, âOne
day You please come before me!â  Here, Swami Desikan quotes from the
AzhvArâs own verse:
âmAyak kootthA vAmana vinaiyEn kaNNA kaNkaikAl
  thooya ceyya malarkaLAic chOthic chevvAi mukizhathA
  chAyal chAmattthirumEni thaNpAsadaiyA thAmarai neeL
  vAsatthadam pOl varuvAne oru nAL kANa vArAyE.â   (ThiruvAimozhi, 8-5-1)
(Oh Lord! Please come at least one day! You appeared as VAmana and KrishNa and
performed fascinating tricks! You must come before me with the eyes, hands,
feet, mouth all shining like lotuses in a pond. )
        For my sake, who is with such eagerness to see Your form, You must come
before me, says the AzhvAr.
        SwAmi Desikan gives an alternative explanation:
âanngananRikkE, âadiyEnuLLAn udaluLLAnâ ennumpadi en azhukkudambukkuLLE
jugupsai paNNAthE aNiyanAi ninRu ennavumAm.â -- If not so, it can be like
this:
The AzhvAr wants the Lord to appear in the form as He is present in his body,
without any disgust against it as dirty, as stated in the verse:
âadiyEnuLLAn udaluLLAn aNdakatthAn puRatthuLLAn
  padiyE yithuvenRuraikkalAm pdiyanallan parampran
  kadicEr nARRatthuuLLAlai inbatthunbak kazhinErmai
  odiyAvinbap perumaiyOn uNarvilumbar oruvanE.â  (ThiruvAimozhi, 8-8-2)
(He is in my soul. He is in my body. He is the Great One, Who is in the
universe and outside it; Whose character cannot be described as such and such;
Who is superior to superiors; Who is also in fragrance of a flower, in the
taste of honey; Whose Bliss is unalloyed, flawless, continuous without breaks;
Who is above all dEvas and nitya-sooris.)
        The AzhvArâs point is: âWhen You can continuously stay in my soul
and body, without any disgust for the dirty body, You should not avoid
appearing near me now.â

(To continue)
dAsan
Anbil S.SrInivAsan

      DELETE button is history. Unlimited mail storage is just a click away. Go
to https://edit.india.yahoo.com/config/eval_register

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: