You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00063 Aug 2004

Post 4

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Continuing the study of sarasa saama dhaana krithi, the krithi is linked to
angadhan thoodhu. See here the words of raama to angadha - "please go and tell
raavaNan what I say". He also goes and tells as advised by raama.

gathvaa soumya dhasagreevam broohi madh vachanaath kapE || 5-41-60 b
langhayithvaa pureem lankaam bhayam thyakthvaa gathavyathha: | 5-41 -61 a

meaning: Hey angadha - please go to lanka without fear and by jumping across
and without any wavering in the mind, tell mildly to dhasagreeva the raavaNa
what I say.

thadh raama vachanam sarvam anyoona adhikam uththamam |
sa amaathyam sraavayaamaasa nivEdhya aathmaanam aathmanaa || 5-41-79

meaning: that angadhan told raavaNan who was sitting with his ministers what
all raama said without adding anything and deleting anything.

So the 'munnOr thoodhu avanE vaayil mozhindhu'. Angadhan did not change
increase or delete any word also. That is why "avanE vaayil mozhindhu"

Now see 'sarasa saama dhaana' krithi. The krithi is linked with angadhan
thoodhu. May be as we see in anupallavi hanumaan's envoy is also touched.  [the
order of presenting in the krithi in charaNam is just reverse of raamaayaNam].
How it is linked - Let us see below.

bhrashtasreekam gatha aisvaryam mumoorshO nashta chEthana: || 5-41-61
risheeNaam dhEvathaanaam cha gandharva apsarasaam tathaa |
naagaanaam atha yakshaaNaam raajnaam cha rajaneechara ||  5-41-62

yachcha paapam krutham mOhaath avalipthEna raakshasa |
noonam thE vigathO dharpa: svayambhoo varadhaaanaja: ||
thasya paapasya sampraapthaavyushtiradhya dhuraasadhaa ||| 5-41-63

yasya dhaNdaDharasthE aham dhaaraa haraNa karshitha: |
dhaNdam DhaarayamaaNasthu lankaadhvaarE vyavasthitha: || 5-41-64

meaning: hey raavaNaa, one who has lost his glory, one who has lost his
kingdom, one who has reached near death, one who has lost wisdom, the stealthy
raakshasa, the time has come to reap the fruits of your misdeeds you did by
virtue of the boons granted to you, by your idiosyncrasies and arrogance, to
dhEvaas gandharvaas, apsaras, yakshaas, naagaas, and different kings. I am
ready at the doorsteps of lanka to punish you for the guilt of stealing my
wife. So the results and fruits of brahma's boons are over.

Point: This is the last line of krithi- "raga hathamu jEsithivi" says
thyaagaraaja raaja = who is thyaagaraaja's raja - he is none else than kOsala
raajaa - the raama - whose words are as above. Also this 'raaga hathamu means
aasaiyinaal adam pidikkadhE - I will remove your adamancy.

See angadha's words also as per raamaayanam for this thyaagaraaja raaja.

dhoothO ~aham kOsalEndhrasya raamasya aaklishta karmaNa:
vaali puthrO angadhO naama yadhi thE srOthram aagatha: 5-41-80

third line in charaNam:
dharmaathmaa raakshasa srEshta: sampraapthO ~ayam vibheeshaNa: |
lankaa aisvaryam idham sreemaan dhruvam ayam praapnothi akaNtakam || 5-41-68

meaning: that dharmaathma and purest of the raakshasaas vibheeshaNan sought
asylum in me. So he, that sreemaan, gets lanka kingdom permanently without any
hindrance.

Point: see line 'natha sahOdharudanE raaji chEsithivi' - of thyaagaraaja. While
taking vibheeshaNa into his fold raama says I am even prepared to give ayOdhyaa
if raavaNan comes, so 'ayOdhyaan ichchEnantithivi' in second line of charaNam.

braveemi thvaam hitham vaakyam kriyathaam aurdhva dhEkikam |
sudhrushtaa kriyathaam lankaa jeevitham thE mayi sthitham || 5-41-72

meaning: I tell you one good thing which is a welfare word for you. Let the
lanka be seen well by you. Similarly do your final rites. For your life is in
my hands.

Point: see first line of charaNam "hithavu maatalenthO baaga balkithivi" of
thyaagaraaja. So the saamam - hithavu maatalu,
dhaanam - ayOdhyaa ichchEnantithivi
bhEdham - natha sahOdharudane
dhandam - I have come to punish you if you do not remove your hatam
chathuran - is raaman.

Earlier the hanumaan thoodhu is also linked in the anupallavi of sarasa saama -

Meaning of Anupallavi as we saw in earlier post: RaavaNa, the most devoted
bhaktha (devotee) of Lord Siva, could not understand the truth that in the garb
of hanumaan, siva himself came in front of him and talked to him [to return
seethaa etc].

so this krithi is highlight of thoodhu.

Also the raaga - kaapi naaraayaNi - ka + api + naaraayaNi
ka also means god of death [besides brahma, vishNu]
naaraayaNi is lakshmi as well durga, the god of death.
Api means with, also
So kaapi naaraayani - time has come for raama and seetha to join together.
Another way it indicates death of raavaNan since god of death siva [or rudhran]
and durga joining together.

Dear bhakthaas, Please see how thyaagaraaja has composed krithi based on
raamaayaNam lines only. Enjoy the krithis of thyaagaraaja with raamayanam as
background in mind. Then his music will be something greater, than ordinarily
enjoying his music for music's sake.

Dhaasan

Vasudevan m.g.

PS: Please excuse me for the poor drafting as I myself feel it has not come
presentable nicely, but please accept the points made.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM