You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00160 Aug 2004

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

987. svapnEpi chEth thvamasi mUrDhani sanniviShtA
        namrasya mE narakamardhanapAdharakshE!
        SThAnE thadhEthadhiha dhEvi! Yatha: samADhoU
        SanthO vidhusthamapi thAdhrushabuDdhigamyam

Oh Devi! Paaduka of the Lord! In my dream, when I had my head bowed,
You sat on my head. Dream-experience is parallel to yogic vision
(Mind sees in both!). It is appropriate that You had granted it to
me in a dream as if in Yoga. (It is said that Desika had such a
vision in dream before commencing the work).

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan (V.S):

SlOkam 987

1) UtthamUr Swamy's  anubhavam: Oh Paadhukais of the Lord ,
who destroyed the demon Narakaa! Oh Devi! The fact that You
have stayed on my head during my wakeful hours as well as in dream
hours attest to Your compassion in my case, where I do not have
the fruits of penance to qualify for such a honor. It fits with the
experience of the righteous, who during their times of meditation
see the Lord in that dream-like state. " This verse is a key one in
that it refers to the dream, wherein  the Paadhukais of the Lord
rested on Swamy  Desikan's head. He woke up and took the vow to
compose the thousand verses on the Vaibhavam of the Paadhukais for
the contest at Srirangam. Swamy  Desikan refers to the darsana
samanAkAra Jn~Anam in this slOkam. This knowledge or spiritual
attainment makes an external object come close to one in the dream ,
even if that object is not anywhere near. The vision of the
Paadhukais in Swamy Desikan's dream is an example of such Jn~Anam.
Swamy says that he did not possess that type of Jn~Anam and yet the
mercy of the Paadhukais blessed him with that type of Jn~Anam and
caused that dream to happen.

2) SrImath Andavan's anubhavam: Swamy Desikan declares here that
he has been overawed and defeated by the soulabhyam of the
Paadhukais of the Lord. He says: Your abundance of Vaathsalyam for
us and joy in driving away all the obstacles to gain You are
legendary. I am totally under Your control and am guided by You (
adhyantha Paratantran). I am devoid of any other
recourse except You (ananyOpayan ) and totally devoid of any
resources to protect myself (Parama akinchanan). Out of my intense
desire to be united with You, I stand before You even in  my dream
and You appear in those dreams out of Your krupA and rest on my
head. When I meditate on You, I am blessed with darsana samanAkAram
( equivalent to seeing You physically) and You remove all my
inauspiciousness. The skilled ones in interpreting the SaasthrAs
like Sage VasishtA , Manu and Sage ParAsarA visualize Your Lord
through their dhyAnams . Whatever that SaashtrAs say about Your
Lord  are also extendable to You as well, since You are His
sahadharmachAriNi. Therefore meditation of You or seeing You in our
dreams will lead to our Aathma KshEmam .There may not be a need for
external aarAdhanam to you for visualizing You . Great indeed is Your
incomparable soulabhyam!

3) Oh Paadhukai of the Lord , who destroyed NarakAsuran to protect
His aasrithAs ( those who sought His protection )( hE Devi
Narakamardhana-PaadharakshE !  You are indeed resting on my bowed
head during my dhyAnam and in my svapnams ( namrasya mE moordhani
svapnEapi Thvam sannivishtA ). That bhAgyam results in the enjoyemnt
of aathma kshEmam by me (Thvam mama moordhani sannivishtA chEth asi,
tadhA yEthath iha sTAnE ). Why do I come to that conclusion ? It is
based on the knowledge about the experience of great Rishis , who
are able to visualize Your Lord in their dhyAnams and svapnams (
Yatha: Santha: Tamapi samAdhou thAdhrusa buddhi gamyam vidhu:)...
(V.S).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM