You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00179 Aug 2004

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

991. haricharaNasarOjE BhakthiBhAjAm janAnA-
     manukaraNavishEShaIrAthmanaIvOpahAsyam
     pariNamaya dhayArdhrA pAdhukE! thAdhrusham mAm
     BharathapariShadhantharvarthiBhi: prEkshaNIyam

Oh Paaduka! I have been imitating the great devotees of the Lord's
Feet, in the matter of showing Bhakthi, performing duties, speaking
in self-criticism,-all in mere cheating spirit. May You, in Your
grace, transform me into one of the people of true devotion and
sincere humility, so that I can join the band, Bharata-troupe!

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan (V.S):

SlOkam 991

1) UtthamUr  Swamy's anubhavam: Oh PaadhukE! adiyEn imitates the acts
of those righteous ones, who are deeply devoted to the Lord's holy
feet. These evolved souls have attained the purpose of their births
through such exemplary devotion to the Lord's lotus feet. I laugh
however at myself over my audacious imitation of the ways of these
devotees of the Lord and feel sinful. Oh PaadhukE! Please make me a
member of this true group of servants of the Lord out of Your immense
compassion for sinners like me.

2) SrImath Andavan's anubhavam: Here, Swamy  Desikan develops the
theme that the auspicious glances of  BhagavathAs of the Lord are
even more powerful (darsanAdhEva Saadhava:) than that of the Lord
Himself. He prays for the blessings of the Paadhukais to generate
true bhakthi for the BhAgavathAs of the Lord. Swamy
Desikan laments over the lost days, when he pretended to act like a
true devotee of the Lord's BhagavathAs. He prays to the Paadhukais to
join him in the Bharatha GhOshti.

3) Oh PaadhukE! There are the true BhagavathAs of the Lord , who have
the highest level of Bhakthi for the Lord's lotus feet (Oh PaadhukE!
Hari charaNa sarOjE bhakthi bhAjAm Janaa:). I tried to act like them
and became a laughing matter to myself (Bhakthi bhAjam JanAnAm
anukaraNa visEshai: aathmanaiva upahAsyam). Oh most Compassionate
PaadhukE ! You must bless this egotistic and decietful jeevan
(myself) to become the object of glance of the Saadhus, who belong to
the Bharatha GhOshti ( ThAdhrusam maam Thvam dayArshrA Bharatha
Parishath antharvarthibhi: prEkshaNeeyam pariNamaya) ... (V.S).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM