You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00185 Aug 2004

Please visit this link
http://www.narthaki.com/info/articles/article43.html

Sadagopan mama has writtena beautiful article on this Divy
Desam.

Again, a request all of you who read this for paying a visit to
Nambi.

aDiyEn,
ramanan

---- On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Madhavakkannan V

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2004/08/27/stories/2004082702620600.htm

> [...]
> an intermediary mandapam with eight grand Nayak
> sculptures.
>
> Climbing up the five-tier gopuram after this, our eyes
> were subjected to a surfeit of carvings in wood. We
> went past a smaller mandapam with more Nayak
> sculptures of a ferocious Narasimha, a gypsy couple
> kidnapping a prince and princess, the hallmark of
> Nayak sculptures to the main shrines.
>
> The Lord here is in three separate shrines, standing
> in one, seated in another and reclining on the third.
> The images are of stucco beautifully painted. Bhoomi
> Devi was in a mellow green to depict the greenery of
> the earth, Sri Devi in a golden yellow. True to his
> name of Sundaraparipoornan or Vadivazhagiyanambi (one
> of matchless beauty) the Lord was of breathtaking
> beauty. Flanked by Brigu and Markandeya, the archakar
> told how the Lord blessed Kari and Udayanangai with
> their progeny Nammazhwar. He also told how the Lord
> appeared to Ramanuja as a disciple and earned the Lord
> the name Vaishnava Nambi.
>
> Next, we went to the shrine of Mahendranathar, a
> shrine for Lord Siva in the main temple complex and
> the beautiful Krishna shrine. "You must visit the
> Nambi shrine on the Mahendragiri hill and
> Thiruparkadal Nambi. They are also part of this temple
> and the former is set in a beautiful forest beside a
> stream," said Thirunarayanan. The temple has been
> mentioned in the verses by Periyazhwar and
> Thirumazhisaipiran. Thirumazhisaipiran in the
> Thiruchandaviruttam speaks of Kurungudi being a place
> where the palm fruits roll into the river where cranes
> and Valai fish abound (verse 62).
>
> Thirumangai Azhwar spent his last days here and
> appropriately in his song on the temple, he speaks as
> Parakala Naayaki, "The cool moonlight breeze, laden
> with His jasmine's fragrance, rips my heart with
> longing.
>
> Let these bangled sleepers prattle.
>
> But carry me away to my lord in Kurungudi." ? Periya
> Thirumozhi 9.5.2
>
> Ottakoothar, the Chola poet speaks of the temples
> prosperity and says, "pearls are aplenty in the groves
> that cranes peck at them and nearly choke in the
> process!"
>
> Inscriptions are few in number. A unique event in the
> town is the celebration in song and dance of
> Nampaduvan a member of the panar community, who
> redeems a demon from his curse. Kaisika Natakam is on
> the night of Ekadasi in Karthigai month. The months of
> Thai and Panguni have other important festivals. The
> Thirukurungudi temple is administered by the Jeeyar.
> than anything else.
>
> The visit was unforgettable and we could agree with
> Nammazhwar who says, "My resplendent Lord of the
> celestials, lives in Kurungudi and shines like molten
> gold. How can I ever forget him?" Thiruvaimozhi 1.10.9
> The temple is 47 km from Tirunelveli past Nanguneri.
> Contact for more details: Thirunarayanan, Thirujeeyar
> Math, Thirukurungudi, Tirunelveli District.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM