You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00189 Aug 2004

namaskaram

pradeep chakravarthy is my second cousin, a great grandson of Sri TV Sundaram Iyengar who is now writing a great deal on divya kshetrams

i am happy that the annual all night ritual of KAISIKA NATAKAM has been mentioned in the article

please inform all those in your discussion group that this year on November 22nd is the sukla paksha ekadasi which is observed as KAISIKA EKADASI and will be the same night when the 'natakam' will be staged for the sixth consecutive year since its revival in 1999.

sincerely,

anita ratnam

>From: Madhavakkannan V <srivaishnavan@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, malolan_net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  acharya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, nama-singapore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Srivenugopala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  desikasampradaya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, parakalamatham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  ramanujamission@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [Oppiliappan] Thirukkurungudi Divya Desam- from the Hindu - for your reading pleasure
>Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hailed by the Azhwars
>
>http://www.hindu.com/fr/2004/08/27/stories/2004082702620600.htm
>
>The ancient temple at Thirukurungudi, situated 47 km
>from Tirunelveli past Nanguneri, has great historical
>significance. PRADEEP CHAKRAVARTHY gives an account.
>
>Tirukkurungudi temple ... literature speaks of green
>groves and tall mansions.
>
>"WHY MY companions do you blame me? It's not my fault
>that I am in love with him! On seeing my Lord of
>Thirukurungudi, I think only of His discus, His conch,
>His lotus eyes and pair of coral hued lips. My heart
>is mine no longer!" Thiruvaimozhi 5.5.1
>
>Going on, Nammazhwar explains in the next 8 stanzas
>the overriding obsession of Parankusa Naayaki towards
>the Lord in Thirukurungudi. In what are among the most
>beautiful paasurams, one hears Parankusa Naayaki
>replying to her companions and her mother of how the
>spellbinding beauty and majesty of the Lord has
>overcome her. She speaks of His hue, His jewels, His
>weapons, His garlands and begs her friends not to
>blame her, for her obsession is one that is all
>consuming and beyond her own control.
>
>Azhwar speaks of palm tree groves and tall mansions.
>The palm tree groves are intact watered by the
>Nambiaru but the houses are dwarfed by the majesty of
>the entrance gopuram.
>
>Although incomplete, even without any tier, it raises
>over a flight of stairs. The variety of sculptures of
>Saivite and Vaishnavite themes only gives a sample of
>what is to come within the 18 acres inside.
>
>Crossing the threshold, Sri Tirunarayanar took a few
>minutes to explain the working of the 30-ft doors.
>Crossing in we admired more sculptures on the gopuram
>including one of Saturn. Passing by this, we went to
>an intermediary mandapam with eight grand Nayak
>sculptures.
>
>Climbing up the five-tier gopuram after this, our eyes
>were subjected to a surfeit of carvings in wood. We
>went past a smaller mandapam with more Nayak
>sculptures of a ferocious Narasimha, a gypsy couple
>kidnapping a prince and princess, the hallmark of
>Nayak sculptures to the main shrines.
>
>The Lord here is in three separate shrines, standing
>in one, seated in another and reclining on the third.
>The images are of stucco beautifully painted. Bhoomi
>Devi was in a mellow green to depict the greenery of
>the earth, Sri Devi in a golden yellow. True to his
>name of Sundaraparipoornan or Vadivazhagiyanambi (one
>of matchless beauty) the Lord was of breathtaking
> [...]

Dreaming of building your very own house? Get Citibank Home Loan.
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links

Home Page