You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00208 Aug 2004

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

1000. krIdAloUlyam kimapi samayE pAdhukE! varjayanthI
          nirvEsham svam dhishasi BhavathInAThayO: shrIDharaNyO:
          mAmapyEvam janaya maDhujithpAdhayOrantharangam
          rangam yAsoU janayasi guNaIrBhArathInruttharangam

Oh Paaduka! You are wont to concede the opportunity, to the consorts
Sri and Bhoomi, who feel they are subservient to You, of privately
serving the Lord's Feet, by subjugating Your own desire to serve the
Lord, say in a stroll, to their longing. I am Your subservient. You
ought to grant me too, the opportunity of privately rendering
service to those Holy Feet! You will do it, I know. You have enabled
me to complete this work and become the instrument of making this
Ranga a stage for Saraswati to dance in delight on hearing this
work.

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan (V.S):

SlOkam 1000

1) UtthamUr  Swamy's anubhavam: When Swamy Desikan began to compose
the thousandth  verse, Sarasvathy Devi was happy to know that the
poet (SrI VenkatEsan) had completed his pledge to create one
thousand verses in a single night in praise of the Paadhukais of the
Lord. The aasthika janams of Srirangam assembled in front of Lord
RanganAtha also appalauded his (Swamy  Desikan's) extraordinary
success. Swamy Desikan was also very pleased and grateful that such
an effort was concluded and sought a boon of closeness to the holy
feet of the Lord and sing about their glories. He says: "Oh PadhukE!
When Lord RanganAtha wants to give His DEvis the pleasure of
pressing His feet, You cast aside Your desire to roam outside
carrying Your Lord's Thiruvadis. You defer those duties  in favor of
the Lord's consorts. Similarly, May Thou bless me to become close to
Your Lord's Thiruvadis ! Your powers are such that You have made
Srirangam, the  dance theatre for Sarasvathy DEvi".

2) Srimath Andavan's anubhavam: Swamy  Desikan has now reached the
stage of completion of the 1000 slOkams to eulogize the vaibhavam of
the Paadhukais (Sankalpitha sahasram sampoorNam) .He has been
blessed with Bhagavath prApthi through the upAyam of PaadhukA
prApthi. He is joyous and concludes the Kaavyam from the subject
matter point of view. The remaining 8 slOkams are epilogues .

The inner meaning of this thousandth slOkam is to instruct us that
the SadAchAryAs of the Lord are dearer to the Lord even more than
His divine consorts. Those SadAchAryAs are celebrated as well by the
Divine consorts of the Lord. SadAchAryyAs are capable of blessing
their sishyAs with Bhagavathanubhavam similar to the one that they
enjoy. Swamy  Desikan hints that AchArya Saayujyam is better than
Bhagavath Saayujyam. The glories of such AchAryAs fill all the
world.

Swamy  Desikan asks a rhetorical question in this  concluding
slOkam: Oh Paadhuke! What else do I need here, now that You have
blessed me to enjoy SrI RanganAthan with my body, speech and mind
and prepared me to be fit to perform kaimkaryams for Him ? There
seems to be one more thing that You can bless me with so that I can
become complete (PoorNan). You are known for Your total devotion to
Your Lord and for Your assembly of auspicious aathma guNams tuned to
serve Your Lord without interruption . Recognizing these splendid
set of attributes, even the Devis of the Lord pay their respects to
You. They recognize that Bhagavath anubhava roopa PurushArTam is
also under Your control. They are thankful to You for stopping the
Lord's sanchAram and returning Him to His inner chambers
for union with them ( the Devis). Thus You confer the bhOgam of the
Lord's lotus feet for the Devis instead of monopolizing them by
going on long sanchArams with Your and Their Lord. My prayer to You
is to bless me further with the Bhagavath PadhAravindha anubhava
bhOgam just like You facilitated such anubhavams for the Lord's
divine consorts. You may ask how I came to know of Your generosity
to share the Lord's divine feet with His dear consorts. Oh PaadhukE!
Your vaibhavam is so well known (lOka prasiddham) in this world
through the joyous efforts of Saraswathi Devi to bless the poets to
sing about Your vaibhavam through their SrI Sookthis. Therefore,
Your generosity, KaaruNyam and othe subha guNams are no
secret to the people of the world. Therefore, You must bless me with
the additional boon of the closest presence(Parama saamyam )  to
You. That enjoyment would even be greater in my estimate to what
adiyEn will enjoy  in the Muktha dasai (Bhagavath Saamyam ). Thus ,
Swamy Desikan concludes this Sankalpitha Sahasram (SrI RanganAtha
PaadhukA Sahasram) with the statement that the ultimate enjoyment of
PaadhukAnubhavam is the Lord adorning His Paadhukais ( Swamy
NammAzhwAr) at SrIrangam, the BhUlOka Vaikuntam . Here at Srirangam,
the Paadukai blesses aasrithALs with the sacred feet of the Lord,
which is its Sarvaswam ( Sarva savadhAnam gift ).

3)  Oh PaadhukE ! On special occasions , You stop Your delectable
sanchArams with Your Lord and bring the Lord back to His antha:
puram so that His devis can enjoy the same pleasure that You enjoy
through  Bhagavath Padha parcicharaNa sukham ( samayE kimapi
kreeDAloulyam varjayanthee sathi, Bhavathee NaaTayO: SrIdharaNyO:
svam nirvEsam disasi). May I request You to confer the boon of
qualifications for such antharanga kaimkaryams to Your Lord's
Thiruvadi? (yEvam maamapi Madhujith paadhayO: antharangam janaya).
You of such sarvasvAdhanam glory  and  auspicious guNams have made
Sriranga KshEthram, the dancing stage for Saraswathi Devi ( Yaasou
Rangam GuNai: BhArathee nruttha rangam janayasi)...(V.S).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM