You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00210 Aug 2004

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

999. kaThankAram lakshmIkarakamalayOgyam nijapadham
        nidhaDhyAdhrangEsha: kulishakaTinEsminmanasi na:
        na chEdhEvam maDhyE vishathi dhayayA dhEvi! BhavathI
        nijAkrAnthikshuNNasmarasharashiKhAkaNtakathathi:

Oh Paaduka Devi! The hearts of people have been subject to the
arrows of Cupid, which continue to remain as thorns therein. Had You
not first entered and pulverized these thorns, by Your grace, how
can one expect Lord Ranganatha to step in into these hearts, with
His Feet so very delicate as to be caressed very carefully by the
hands of Mahalakshmi.

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan ( V.S):

SlOkam 999

1) UtthamUr  Swamy's anubhavam: Oh DEvi! If You through Your steps
do not pulverize the tips of the  thorns of the arrows of Manmatha
and prepare my heart as a soft spot fit for housing the tender ,
lotus feet of Your Lord, How could He (SrI RanganAtha)  place His
soft feet on my adamantine hard heart?

2) Srimath Andavan's anubhavam: In this slOkam, Swamy Desikan
describes the fruits of worshipping the Lord's Paadhukais. Oh
victorious PaadhukE resting in my mind after defeating that  mind,
which roamed fiercely chasing all material and sensory pleasuers! Oh
PaadhukE with that Vijya SrI! You pulverized all the fierce thorns
present in my mind through Your fervent sanchArams there and made it
a safe and soft place for Your Lord to reside. If You had not done
that, there was no chance for the Lord to enter my dangerous  mind.
Thanks to Your help, both of You have settled down in my mind. The
inner meaning is that the intimate association with SadAchAryAs and
the auspicious benefits of their upadEsa anugrahams produce vivEkam
in us, cleanses our minds and results in Bhagavath dhyAnam and
anubhavam .

3) Oh Devi PaadhukE! My mind (manas) is dense with sharp thorn-like
features resembling  the adamantaine weapon (kulisakaDini
/vajrAyudham). It is a place that is not most comfortable to enter (
dushpravEsam). Lord RanganAtha's sacred feet are soft like  the
lotus petals and are easily bruised even from pressings by the soft
hands of His divine consort , SrI RanganAyaki ( Lakshmi
karatala yOgyam ). In to that hard and lowly place of my mind, the
Lord enters and places His Thiruvadi and feels comfortable. How is
that possible? (kaTankAram RanganATa : nija padham nidhadhyAth ). It
is only because of Your valour to enter my mind and with your
intense crushing of those sharp thorn-like entities and pulverizing
them through many sanchArams over them (Bhavathee nija aakrAnthy
kshuNNa Smara sara sikhA kaNDaka tathi: ). Out of Your compassion
for me, You get in between the Lord's tender feet and the field of
crushed thorns(manas) so that He does not feel those sharp objects (
dayayA  yEvam madhyE visathi)...(V.S).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM