You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00100 Aug 2005

Dear SrEvaishNavites,

Smt.SumithrA VaradaRajan explains how Sri Thriumangai AzhwAr's dedications manifests itself.  Does he falla the feet of devotees? or does he worship them with reverence.? This quesiton is answered here.

dAsan

vanamamalai padmanabhan

Sri Parthasarathi thunai

SrimathE ramanujaya Namaha

Sri Vara Vara munayE Namaha

Sri vAnachala maha munayE namaha

?tan sErai emperuman tAl thozhuvAr kAnmin en talaimElArE?

Why are azhvars called so? Because they are deeply involved with bhagavan and immersed in his kalyana gunas.  When they have such a great affinity towards emperuman shouldn?t they place him on top of their heads.  But Azhvars go one step higher.  That is the difference between Srivaishnavism and other philosophies.  According to our sampradayam charamOpayam is not surrendering to emperuman but surrendering to the acharyan/bhagavatas.  That is the prime essence of this thirumozhi padhigam.

Kaliyan  elaborated the episode of poothanA moksham in the very first paasuram and celebrated thiruchchErai emperuman for doing such a leela.  So emperuman happily called kaliyan near him in order to place his divine feet on top of azhvar?s head.

?thiruththuzhAi pOlEyum kowsthupam pOlEyum vummudaiya sparsam namakkinidhAyirAnindRadhu, vummudaiya thalaiyaikoduvArum nammudaiya kAlai vaikka? enna; engu vumakkozhiyAdhu, vaguthtavar kAlukku edam pOrumiththanai.?

?Like thiruththuzhAi (tulasi) and kowsthupam I very much like the contact with you so bring your head so that I can place my feet on your head? said the lord.  Kaliyan promptly answered, ?Oh! My lord there is no place for your feet on my head it is reserved for the bhagavatas?

?tan sErai emperuman tAL thozhuvAr kAnmin en thalai mElArE?

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Home Page