You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00124 Aug 2005

SrI:

Dear Sri Srikanth :

The sequence is as follows For Yajur UpAkarma ( Aug 19 for USA)
Rg & Yajur UpAkarma ( Aug 19 for India ) . Aug 19 is
PourNami Tithi & SravaNa Nakshathram :

At the ouset , Let me share with you an important point made by
Dr.P.N.Sridharan , the Hon.Sec of MadhurAnthakam Schools on
the importance of PrahAna (adhyayana) Homam as the  angi in the UpaakarmA
observance in a private mail. The rest like Yajn~Opaveehta dhaaraNam ,
KaaNDa Rishi TarpaNam have been correctly pointed out as angAs
of the UpAkarmA . Dr.Sridharan points out that many perform th angAs
and leave out the angi . He says that the sankalpam " adhya UpAkaramaa
karishyE " has no meaning . Leaving out the angi is tantamount to not
observing UpAkarmA . The angi consists of performing PradhAna Homam with
Nine Rishi AahUthis and at the end observing VedArambham ( Ishethvaa and the
other mantrAs for the other vedAs ) .

Sequence of the UpAkarmA
******************************

1.Morning SandhyA

2. Nithya OupAsanam ( for GruhasthAs ) and
    SamidhA DhAnam ofr BrahmachAris .

3. Washing of feet , Aachamanam , Yajn~opaveetha
    DharaNam prior to KaamOkArsheeth Japam ; The Japam
    of the KaamAkArsheeth manthram follows ( 108 or 1008) .

4. with the sanklapam : ( BhagavAnEva---- --- KaamOkArsheeth
ManuyurakArsheeth
MahA Manthra JapAkhyam Karm aSvapreethayE SvayamEva kaarayathi at the
beginning
and - - - - KaarithavAn at the end ) .
************************************

5. MadhyAhnikam and ThiruvArAdhanam next .

6. Sankalpam for KaaNDa Rishi TarpaNam . As a part of
     that TarpaNam , next Yaj~nOpaveetha DharaNam ( For grahasthAs )
     is to be adorned and Mounji DhAraNam for BrahmachAris .

7. KaaNDa Rishi TarpaNam :

7.1: PrajApathim KaaNDa Rishim TarpayAmi. (Rishi Theertham )
7.2: SOmam - - - TarpayAmi .
7.3: Agnim  - - -
7.4: VisvAn dEvAn KaaNDa rishim TarpayAmi
7.5: Saamhikeer DevathA Upanishads tarpayAmi
7.6: Yaaj~nikeer DevathA Upanishads TarpayAmi
7.7: VaaruNeer Devatha Upanishadas TarpayAmi

7.8: BrAhmaNam Svayumbhuvam TarpayAmi (Brahma Theertham )/ULLankai adi vazhi
7.9: Sathasaspathim TarpayAmi ( thru nuni viralkaL )

8. UpAkarma Homam in group

9.  VedArambham : First Prachnam .

Next day: Gayathri UpAsanam common for all on Aug 20.

Saama UpAkarmA on Sep 6 & Rg UpA Karma on Aug 18 for USA .

Hope this helps ,
V.Sadgopan