You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00009 Aug 2006

Sri Parthasarathi thunai

Srimathe ramanujaya Namaha

Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha

Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

http://www.pbase.com/svami/salaikkinaru

We are all born in this world of ultimate darkness and are confused like
loosing the way in a dense forest.  Who will save us from this darkness?
Who
will show us the right path? Which is our destination? We can find the
answers to all these questions clearly enacted in an interesting episode
in
the life of Swamy Ramanuja.

Those where the days when young boy elaiazhvar (who later became the
jagadacharya, Swamy Ramanuja) was learning his advaitic lessons under
yadhava prakasa.  Elaiazhvar was highly intelligent and specially graced
by
the divine couples and hence he was unable to accept all the explanations
given by yadhava for various vedic verses just like that.  On analyzing,
elaiazhvar found a lot of misinterpretations and humbly presented his
opinions in front of his acharya.  Yadhava was filled with ego and pride
and
hence couldn't accept the prefect explanations provided by elaiazhvar.
Slowly the hatred towards elaiazhvar started growing.  Finally yadhava
plotted a plan to kill elaiazhvar during their trip to north.

While on the banks of the divine gangus, Govinda bhattar elaiazhvar's
cousin
brother came to know about the plot and timely instructed elaiazhvar to
escape.  Perplexed by the situation, elaiazhvar wandered in the jungles
and
lost his way.

The then state of elaiazhvar is compared to our state in this samsaram by
our poorvacharyas as follows:

State of jeevatma

"AvArAr thunai" (thiruvai 5-1-9) - (Wondering) Who will come to our help?

"pakkam knOkki"(thiruvai 2-6-2) - Looking on all sides to find someone;

"alamandhu madhiyellAm uLkalangi" (thiruvai 1-4-3) disturbed and fully
upset;

"adiyada timir koNdAloththu erukka" (thiruvai 6-5-2) unable to take even a
step forward

Then emerges emperuman to help poor elaiazhvar.

State of paramatma

"matchittA: matgatha prAnA:" "yOgashEmam vahAm yaham" - Emperuman declares
in his bhagavat geetha,  'I take care of the welfare of those jeevas who
are
constantly meditating on me.  I give them the yogam-their wishes; and
kshemam-sustain the same;'

As per his words and azhvar's words "arultaruvAn AzhiyAn" [10-6-1] and
"tanataNbarkkanbAgum" [9-10-5] the divine couples dressed themselves as a
hunter and his wife and appeared in front of elaiyazhvar with the bow and
arrow in his hand "vAlum villum koNdu" [8-3-3] and said, "Oh! You divine
Brahmin, one who has lost your way ("vazhi thigaiththu alamaruginra"
[3-2-9]) come we will show you the right way" Immediately elaiazhvar
enquired them from where they were coming and towards where they were
proceeding.  The divine couples replied that they were returning from a
yathra to north and were on their way to sathyavratha kshetram (kanchi).
Happily elaiazhvar decided to follow them.  The couples started leading
the
way.  They walked for a while when the sun started to set.  Elaiazhvar,
finished his nithyakarmanushtanam and since it had become dark they
decided
to stay a night under a banyan tree.

Meanwhile, the hunter's wife wanted to drink some good water.  The hunter
assured to show her the right place soon.  Elaiazhvar felt bad for not
being
able to fulfill the wish of those who have come to his help in such a
crucial period.

Slowly the darkness disappeared, "kanavirul aganru" (thirupalliezhuchi-1)
"keezhvAnam vellendru" (thiruppavai-8) dawn appeared gentle breeze spread
everywhere while elaiazhvar woke up uttering the divine name "Hari: Hari:"
7
times and quickly completed his morning duties.  At that time the hunter
requested elaizhvar to get them water from the well nearby to quench their
thirst.  Elaizhvar did accordingly and got water in both his hands for
three
times and gave it to the divine couples.  The next time when elaizhvar
returned he was astonished to find the couples missing.  He loudly called
for them in all directions with no response.  Meanwhile, the sun rise
happened in the east "kadhiravan gunadisai sigaram vandhadaindhAn"
(thirupalliezhuchi-1) and slowly there were people moving here and there.
Elaiazhvar was surprised to think about the jungle he was in last night
and
the place he was presently in.  Slowly he approached a person and
enquired,"
which place is this?" The person replied, "Oh Brahmana don't you see the
punniyakoti vimana this is the sAlai
<http://www.pbase.com/svami/salaikkinaru> kinaru and this is kanchi are
you
new to this place?"  Elaiazhvar <http://www.pbase.com/svami/image/64480889

couldn't believe it.  The hunter couples were none other then devaperumal
and perundevi thayar.  Elaiazhvar got immersed in meditating on the
soulabhya/sowseelya kalyana gunas of perumal and piratti who came running
rescue him from danger.

Gradually elaiazhvar remembered the state of arjuna after the vishvaroopa
darshan "hE! Krishna hE yAdhava! hE sakE" and state of azhvar "neermaiyAl
nenjam vangiththu pugundhu vurukkAttAdhE olipAyO!" [thiruvai-9-6-3; 6-9-5]
lamented greatly and slowly consoled himself and experienced a divine
happiness and proceeded to have the divine darshan of Devaperumal
"thennaththiyoorar kaZhaliNai" (eramanusa noorandhAdhi-31) and prostrated
the divine feet of the supreme lord "thirupolindha sEvadi" (periazhvar
5-4-7) and from that day as per the wish of the divine couples continued
do theertha kainkaryam from the sAlai kinaru.

The salai kinaru <http://www.pbase.com/svami/salaikkinaru>
<http://www.pbase.com/svami/salaikkinaru>    from which swamy emperumanar
did theertha kainkaryam to the divine couples is still there! (about 4 kms
from kanchipuram).  Even today water is got from this well for
devaperumal's
kainkaryam.  There is a beautiful emperumanar sannadhi near the salai
kinaru.  In front of the sannadhi is seen the divine anushtana kulam and
an
excellent view of punniyakoti vimanam is obtained.  We had the great
bhakyam
of visiting this divine place this weekend.  We captured a few photographs
which bhagavatas can view in the pbase site.  For those bhagavatas who are
interested in visiting this divine place (each and every srivaishnava
should
visit) here are the contact details of the person incharge of the
sannadhi:

Sri T.A Bhasyam 68/58, North Mada street, Little kanchipuram 631 501

Ph: 044-27268565

The anushtana kulam <http://www.pbase.com/svami/image/64480886>  is now in
dilapidated state and there are plans to renovate the same.  Interested
bhagavatas can also take part in the divine acharya kainkaryam.  For all
details please contact Sri T.A. Bhashyam swamy.

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam
Adiyen ramanuja dAsee/dasan
Sumithra Varadarajan/Varadarajan

and any attachments. Thank you

Yahoo! Groups Links