You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00031 Aug 2006

nalladhOar sOARu -maDi thaDavAch chOARu

When one of my relatives from US landed in Chennai, they virutally went without
food. The food items spread on the table were not identified by the form and
names but
by calories, fat content, carbohydrates, sugar and so on.

Keeping good health is indeed important and food habit plays a vital role.

What do our AzhvAr-s mention in this regard. True to their spirit, they always
advocate food associated with the Lord as desired intake, and food not so
associated as not desirable.

Sri PeriyAzvAr describes 'SOARu' as 'nei idai  nalladhOAR sOARu' ThirupallANDu
8;

The vyAkyAnam for this: SOARRukku thEmai Avadhu, SoAru ittavan nammAl
idappattadhu enRu ninaikkaiyum-vuNdavan ivanukku enna kaimARu seivOAm enRu
ninaithirukkaiyum;

What is the defect in a food?
 The person who gives the food will have the thinking ' I have provided this'.
The recipient thinks ' What reciprocation should I do? These are the defects
when the food is taken.
When these defects do not exist, it is good food. The Lord Sriman NAryANA who
is mother of all, gives us food and it is good food. That is why it is said
that food should be offered to Him and then consumed by us.

kalathadhu vuNDu: AGain in the next pAsuram this is further emphasised. Like
Sri Sabari who tasted and gave to PerumAL, the Lord first tastes and this food
is the most desired food for us.

'vudutha kaLaindha nin pEthaga ADai ...kalathadhu vuNDu.." ThirupallANDu 9;

(to be continued)

dAsan
vanamamalai padmanabhan

Yahoo! Groups Links