You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00195 Aug 2006

thadam pongatham pongOA

After having traversing several divya-dEsams - on a quick tour -oru nal suRRam-
kaliyan next passes himself on back on the time machine and commences enjoying
vibhavAvathAram-the victory of Sri Chakravarthith Thirumagan in the second
thirumozhi of the tenth ten
'irakkaminRi enkOan seidha thEmai immaiyEa emakku eidhiRRuk kANEr'

This thirumozhi is very unique in the sense that this simulates sentiments of
rAvaNa ghOshti who bring out the sound
in each and every pAsuram as 'thadam pongatham pongOA'

Sri Kanchi svAmi while explaning this peculiar aspect, mentions that this is
the dance by the lost people with paRai.This kUthu (dance) emanates as sounds
and this is reflected in this thirumozhi.

This is also a type of anukAram. Sri Periya vAchAn PiLLai has mentioned that
"..thORRa rAkshasar dhasai piRandhu,pirATTi mAr dhasai piRandhu pEAsumAR
pOlEa..thORRa rAkshar pAsurathAlEa vijayathai pEasi anubavikkiRAr'

A great unique thinking indeed.

Our merciless king has done bad deeds            ]
Our ten headed Lord has blundered                ]
he has kidnapped pirATti                         ]
he has not heeded the words of his brother       ]                We are afraid
he should have acceded the words of the messenger]
the monkey                                       ]
the foolish king                                 ]    and the sound of paRai
and wordsdespite the good queen MandOdhari                            ]
"thadam pongatham pongO"
he has impriosned pirATTi

all this voiced as

irakkam inRi enkOane seidha thEmai                ]
(10-2-1)
Pathu nEL mudiyum                                 ]
(10-2-2)
Seithai enbadhOar dheivam koNarndhu               ]        nAngaL anjinOam
(10-2-50
avan thambiyEa sonnAn                             ]
(10-2-4)
dhUdhu vandha kurangukkEa                         ]       thadam pongatham
pongOA
(10-2-6)
mathi il manathAnai                               ]
(10-2-7)
manag koNDEARum maNdodhari                        ]
(10-2-8)
punam koL men mayilai siRai vaitha                ]

AND Finally they request  for grace and compassion -to spare them

irangu nE emakku endhai pirAnEa ilangu venKathirOan siruvA
kurangugatkarasEa emmaik kollEal
10-1-9

and there goes again another of Kaliyan's masterpice
and we have to dance in front of his briliance

'thadam pongatham pongOA'

dAsan
vanamamalai padmanabhan

Yahoo! Groups Links