You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00214 Aug 2006

SrI:
SrImathE Ramanujaya namah:

Dearest all,

Thus GiTA Bhashyam composition was described by
Amudhanaar in the previous verse. Now EmperumAnar?s
enjoyment and bhakti on Ramayanam is described herein.

patikoNta keerththi iraamaa yaNamennum paththiveLLam
kutikoNta kOyil iraamaa Nnuchan_guNaNG kooRum,anpar
katikoNta maamaalarth thaaLkalan^ thuLLaNG
kaniyumn^allOr
atikaNtu koNtukanthu ennaiyum aaLavark kaakkinarE. 37

Emperumaanaar Sri Ramanujacharya always immerses
himself in the Great famous epic Ramayana and keeps it
with great devotion in his heart. The Bhagawathas who
praise the KalyANA guNAs of such Greatest Sri
Ramanujacharya, are the ones who have realised that
the AthmA of theirs is only to serve and be enslaved
by Sri Ramanuja. Thus, they have also given me a
re-orientation and showed me Seshathvam of
Emperumaanaar. I did not hold on to his Lotus Feet, on
my own. It is because they have shown me the greatness
of Emperumaanaar, I could get a glimpse of YathirAja's
greatness.

Padi koNda keertthi- The popularity of fame that
crosses the earthly boundaries;
IraamaayaNam ennum- such RAMAYANA ithihaasa mahaa
kaavyam;
Bhakthi veLLam- Sri Rama bhakti pareevaaha vaak [the
flood of bhakti towards Rama thus flowed via the
upadEsam thru acharya lineage]
Kudi koNda kOil Ramanusan- The place of residence of
such bhakti in the heart of Ramanuja;
guNam kooRum- [Such Greatest EmperumAnAr?s] gUNas are
enjoyed and revered by
anbar- disciples namely KooratthAzhwAn,
madappaLLiAcchaan; Mudhali AndAn, Nadahoor AzhwAr et
al//
kadi kOnda maamalar thaaL kanadhu- fragrant lotus feet
of [those bhAaawathAs];
uLLan kaniyum nallOr adi kaNdu- with such love and
anubhavam for Ramanuja] disciples like Bhattar
recongise this lowliest self adiyEn as if adiyEn is an
object of worthiness
koNdu- accepted me;
ugandhu- enjoyed that a jeevathma is being thus saved;

enaniyum- even this lowly object ? myself;
avarkku AaL aakkinar- enslaved me to that most
wonderful KooratthAzhwAn and EmperumAnAr.

The fame due to its [Ramayana?s] greatness spread
across the world; the same applies to Sri Ramanuja
also. Bhakthi veLLam- the flood of bhakti as updesam
flowed from chathur mukha [four faced] Brahma to Sage
Narada and then to Sage Vaalmeeki. That Ramayanam
through Thirumalai Nambhi [Sri Ramanuja?s maternal
uncle] came down to Sri Ramanuja. Thus Ramanuja
resided in Ramanuja?s heart as its temple which
explains Ramanuja?s involvement and tremendous bhakti
towards Rama.

lakshmaNO lakshmi sampanna: He wanted to perform
anubhava kamikaryam through Vedantha arttha sthApanam
[establishing vedantha meaning] and hence went to
Thirumala many times and got to learn from him 18
rahaysa artthams of Ramayana from him. Thus, he
studied Ramayanam and enjoyed, analysed, understood
the word by word meanings; the verses? contexts, the
esoteric meanings of them,; the interpretaions
[probable ones] to Veda, Vedanthams etc. It is an
anubhavam to listen to Ramanuja narraying all the
above. That was enjoyed by Swami KooratthAzhwAn,
Embaar, Swami Mudhali AndAn; MadapaLLi Acchaan, Sri
Nadadhur AzhwAr et al. Swami KoorathAzhwAn thus could
bless hence with Athimaanusha sthavam.

Periya Thirumozhi 3.7.3- anjuvan verse- When Bhattar
asked as to what is the meaning: arakkar kula paavai
thannai venjina mookkarindha thiRalOn- MadappaLLi
Acchaan explained saying this is the ThiruvuLLam
[interpretive meaning] of Ramanuja?s.

aDi kONda- They enjoyed saving me saying this fellow
has got bhakti towards the Lotus Feet of Ranganathan
[as Amudhanar was the priest] who is Aradhya Devatha
of Lord Rama. Thus I became the sishya of Swami
KooratthAzhwAn and thus am blessed to serve
EmperumAnAr. Now only I am actually qualified to
perform eternal service to RanganAthAn in its
entirety.

EmperumAnAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana