You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Dec 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00120 Dec 2005

Dec 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Thank you for contacting the National Geographic Society.  We appreciate
the great interest shown by our members and friends, and we wish that we
were able to provide individual replies to each question.  Unfortunately,
due to the volume of inquiries received, that is many times not possible.
This automatic reply is sent in response to all email inquiries. Many
questions are answered by the following FAQs or by the website index (see
below). Please take a moment to look through them, as inquiries that are
answered by the FAQs will receive no additional response.  All the
questions will be read, however; any not answered below will receive a
response, generally within two weeks. Because our staff is quite small, we
are not able to do in-depth research, answer contest questions, settle
bets, provide reference service, or respond by specific deadlines. Don't
forget that your local public library is an excellent source of information
on almost any topic.  The library reference staff will be happy to help you
find what you need.

How can I find my way around the National Geographic website?

The site index provides an excellent guide to the website and to past
online features:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/siteindex/index.html

Where do I find out about jobs at the Society?

The National Geographic Employment website is at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/jobs.  Please note that hiring for U.S.
jobs at the National Geographic Channel is handled separately.  Listings
are online at http://www.foxcareers.com/

How can I find a listing of articles and books published by the National
Geographic Society on a certain topic?

Our index is available on the website at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/publications/

Can I access the articles and books via the Web?

Our publications cannot be accessed on the Web.  Most public and school
libraries have copies of our magazines and books.

Some NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC articles have Web adaptations; how do I find them?

Please visit the archive on the NGM website at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/archives.html

Where can I purchase in-print back issues of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, NATIONAL
GEOGRAPHIC TRAVELER, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC ADVENTURE and NG KIDS?

Information on ordering back issues is on the customer service website at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/community/faq2.html#backissues

Can I purchase article reprints?  How can I obtain permission to reprint an
article?

Information on reprints and permissions is found on the customer service
website at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/community/faq2.html#articlecopy

How can I find information for a school report?

Our site index includes links to information on many fish, birds, mammals,
dinosaurs, insects, spiders, amphibians, and reptiles, as well as on
habitats at http://www.nationalgeographic.com/siteindex/animals.html

Where can I find information on ordering the Society's books?

Please visit the NG Books website at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/books/index.html.

Where can I order back issues or subscribe to NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC in
languages other than English?

Customer Service offices for local language editions are found on the
website at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/community/faq.html#foreign

How do I contact Customer Service?

If your e-mail concerns your National Geographic membership or other
subscription or product-related matters, please contact our Customer
Service division at NGSLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  You can also contact them by
telephone at 1-800-647-5463 from the U.S. or Canada or 1-813-979-6845 from
any other country.

Links to customer service information is found on the site index at:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/siteindex/customer.html

How can I find information on collecting NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC or on the
value of past issues?

We have a Collectors Corner, which includes a dealers list, a bulletin
board, and other information of interest at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/resources/ngo/corner/

Where can I find information about Society grants?

For scientists and explorers, visit the websites of the Committee for
Research and Exploration at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/research/grant/rg1.html and the
Expeditions Council at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/council/index.html.  For conservation
grants, information is available at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/research/grant/rg2.html. For teachers
grants go to
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/education/teacher_community/get_grant.html.

Is the website available in languages other than English?

For links to other NGS websites, visit
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/siteindex/international.html

 How do I find information on television programs produced by the Society?

Links to the National Geographic Channel, US and worldwide, to Ultimate
Explorer (our series on MSNBC) and to the PBS Specials are found at:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/siteindex/television.html. For
information not provided on the websites, please contact the affiliates
directly. For programs produced by National Geographic Television, either
Ultimate Explorer or PBS, please email ngt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The
Channel websites include contact information.

How can I purchase a print of a National Geographic photograph or
illustration for personal use? How do I obtain permission to use a Society
photograph? How do I purchase stock photos?

Visit our Image Sales website at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/imagesales/faq.html

Where do I find information on photography?

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/index.html

Where do I find information on geography education and resources for
teachers?

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/education/

* * * YOUR MEMO TO ramanuja <ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> * * *

Subject: [Oppiliappan] Prapanna ParithrANam Concluded

He is  'The Be all and End All for all'

Ini Akinchanyam Avadhu karma, jnAna, bhaktigalukku hEtuvAna Atma
gunamgalilum anvayam andrikkE avattrirkku vipareethanngalAnavatrrAlE thAm
paripoorananAga irukkum iruppaiyum.. nam karyathukku nAm kadavOm allOm
endru ninaithukkukondu avan kai pArthu Iswaranai upAyamAga pattrum
nibaranAi irukkum avanukku sarIrav avatAna kAlathilE prApthi alithu nayAmi
endru arulicheydhapadiyE Iswaran thane sarakkAlai vandhu archirArthi
mArgathilE paramapadam kondu pOi nitya muktharOdE oru kOvai aakki nitya
kaimkaryathai koduthu arulum padiyAle IswaranE rakshagan AgirAn

As an ordinary soul, karma, jnAna bkakthigal will not fetch mOksham. Even
Azhwars have pleaded about this Akincanyatvam and hence surrendered to
Perumal completely. Nammazhwar surrenders to Vanamamalai peruaml as:

nORRa nOnpilEn nuNNaRi vilEnaagilum
  ini yunnaivittu,onRum
aaRRa kinRilEn aravinaNai yammaanE,
sERRuth thaamarai senNnNe lootumalar sireevara mangalanNagar,
veeRRirundha endhaay! unakku migaiyallE NnangE. (TVM 5.7.1)

Only when a soul gets the complete bhakti (which is like the flow of oil),
will it get Atma gunams like kshamA, dhamA and shanty. This means is not
recommended in our sampradAyam as it creates dependency on a factor other
than Perumal himself to attain him.

When a soul has completely surrendered with the belief that it is a total
slave to Perumal, it need not worry about the state when the death occurs.
Perumal himself has quoted in his Varaha carama slokam as "nayAmi". The
soul need not remember about Perumal. Instead Perumal will remember the
soul in that state.

Swamy PL refers to Peruumal as Sarakku Aal, the labourer. Once the soul
performs Saranagati, Perumal will act as a labourer to lead that souls via
the ArcirArdi mArgam to his abode, SriVaikuntam. He will grant a place
amongst the nitysUris and mukthas in his abode. Also, he will grant the
nitya kaimkaryam opportunity. Thatbis the kind of state that the soul will
be in, when it attains the knowledge that Sriman Narayanan is the only
ruler and everything else is slave to him. Swamy Nammazhwar requests this
kind of kaimkaryam from ThiruVengadamudayAn...

ozivil kaalamellaam udanaay manni,
vazuvilaa adimai seyya vENdum_naam,
theziku ral_aru vitthiru vEngadatthu,
ezilkoL sOthi enthaithanthai thanthaikkE    (TVM 3.3.1)

Again, Azhwar advocates that in order to get this nitya kaimkaryam, all we
need to realize is we are not ours, but we all belong to him. Hence, is the
Swami and we all are his servants.

vEnga dangaLmeym mElvinai muRRavum,
thaangaL thangatku nallana vEseyvaar,
vEnga datthuRai vaarkku namavenna
laanga damai,a thusumanN thaarkatkE    (TVM 3.3.6)

With all the above discussion, it becomes very clear that in our
sampradAyam,

We should not try to attain something other than mOksham through
Sriyapathi, also we should not try to attain him through some other means.

The conclusion is:

We should attain Perumal only through him.

aDiyEn would like to conlude the series with the following Nammazhwar
pasuram on VaithamAnidhi Perumal of ThirukkOlur:

uNNuNY chORu parugunNeer
  thinnumveR Rilaiyumellaam
kaNNan, emperumaan NnenRen
  REkaNkaL neermalgi,