You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Dec 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00132 Dec 2005

Dec 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

ANDAL'S THIRUPPAVAI
SUMMARY
Now has arrived the month of Margasirsa. The days are auspicious and
the nights are filled with moonlight. You, the beautiful young
women, enjoying all the comforts of the prosperous village Vrepalle
and wearing strange and attractive ornaments! Listen, all those who
wish to participate in the morning bath, join us and move ahead.
Krishna is the son of Nandagopa, who in his solicitude for his son,
ever keeps alert, with his sharp spike always poised, to punish
severely those who intend harm to him. Krishna is the beloved lion-
cub of Yasoda who contemplates him with her large beaming eyes;
Krishna with his body shining with the colour of a dark cloud, with
his eyes bright as red lotus petals, with his divine face radiating
the mingled beams of the bright sun and the mellow moon, this
Krishna is no other than Narayana Himself. He is ready to give, only
to us (people who never seek anything from any but him) what we
badly need, namely, the instrument "parai" which is required for the
fulfillment of this ritual. Therefore, join us in all your numbers
in this ceremonial rite and make the world of onlookers happy.

Margalittingal madi nirainda nannalal,
niradap poduvir! podumino, nerilaiyir!
Sirmalgum ayppadic celvac cirumirgal!
 kurvel kodun tolilan nandagopan kumaran,
Erarnda kanni yasodaiy ilanncingam,
 karmeni ccengan kadirmadiyam pol mukattan,
Narayanane namakke parai taruvan,
 paror pugalap padindelor empavay.

"All ye who, though born in this world of sorrow, yet enjoy bliss as
contemporaries of Krishna, listen to the manner of our performing
this ritual. We shall gently sing benediction to the feet of the
Supreme Person, who has been resting quietly on the sea of milk.
During the period of the ritual, we shall take our bath before dawn.
We shall not help ourselves to milk or ghee. We shall not smear our
eyes with collyrium nor shall we deck our hair with flowers. We
shall avoid actions not done by our elders; nor shall we ever utter
anywhere falsehood or words that hurt others. We shall honour the
wise with liberal gifts of grain and money. We shall bestow charity
on the celibates and the ascetics. We shall always reflect upon the
way of higher life. May you witness this and feel happy!"

This Pasuram exhorts the intending participants about the things
that they should or should not do during the course of the Vrata.

Vaiyattu valvir gal! namum nam payaikkuc
 ceyyum kirisaigal keliro parkadalul
Paiyat tuyinra Paraman adipadi
 neyyunnom palunnom natkale niradi
maiyitteludom malarittu nam mudiyom