Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: [Oppiliappan] Re: Cost of srardham

Dear Sriman Sadagopachar Swamin,

1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi.

The mantram for this six homams are the same with slight change:
"yanme maataa pralulobha charati ananuvradha thanme reta: ....... pita / pitamaha / prapitamaha .... vrungtaam ..... gotrAya sharmaNe Vasu / rudra / Aditya roopAya
pitre / pitamahaya / prapitAmahAya swAhA"

Meaning: this mantram stresses the real meaning for the term 'pitru' as :
The Aahuti must reach 'the person who is the real cause for my birth' or 'the person by whoms 'retas' (semen) I was made'
So, these are the perfect mantras
So, these are very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers

2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food.

Mantram for this action:
Placing annam before pitru leaf: "asamskruta prametAye tyAginyoyA: kulastraya: dhAsyAmi tebhya: vikiramannam tAbhyasca paitrukam"
Meaning: "The pitrus who had droped without proper samskaaram, for those pitrus trupti, I am placing this vikiram"

3. Placing the rice ball to crow

Mantram while placing the rice ball over a dharbha bhugnam:
"agni dagdebhya: anagni dagdebhya: asmat kula prasuuti mrutebhya: ayam piNda: swatA nama:"
Meaning: pitrus for who had crimated with fire or without fire (gaganam) and some shishus might have gone in the womb itself, for those type of pitrus I am placing this rice ball as food.

4. Pinda pradhanam with water and thil after the above.

We are doing this with the same balance annam used for the previous pitru homam,
These pindams are some anna roopa representation for those pitrus to do the shodasa upacharams like Argya, PAtya, Achamaneeya, vastra, gandha, pushpa, dhuupa, deepa, uttareeya, aaparaNa, alankaara, mAshApuupa, gudApuupa, pAneeya, tAmbuula etc.

I have answered for a good question after very long time, you can send it through all your / our groups.

dhanyosmi,
dAsan,
nvs

Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Oppiliappan] Re: Cost of srardham

Adiyen is moved by the sincere response from a number of swamins on the cost of srardham and most have concurred that concern should be for reduction of cost so that people with little or moderate finance will not be driven to think of giving up the practice. However, I doubt whether most of the bruhaspathis will ever listen, as they have their own concerns. However,  I prostrate to all those swamins who took the pains to spend time to ponder on the issue. Someday, solution might come.
One swami had remarked that one should understand the meaning and do the srardham. It is true but who is going to explain the detailed meaning of mantras to karthas, as bruhaspathi swamins have also have to race against time. But I request that at least if any one explain, at least briefly, the significance of the following steps in srardham, it would be of solace that the financial strain is compensated.

1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi.

2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food.

3. Placing the rice ball to crow

4. Pinda pradhanam with water and thil after the above.

Of the above, which is very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers, so that if some bruhaspathi rushes through and omits we can ask for?
Adiyen,
Kochappaa

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan
http://www.sadagopan.org