You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Dec 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00291 Dec 2008

Dec 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Todayâs verse is No. 11th. Let us continue to enjoy the wonderful commentary
of His Holiness Srimath Paravakkottai Andavan of Sri Poundarikapuram Swami
ashramam, Srirangam â translated into English by Sri CG Balaji Swami.

kaRRuk kaRavaik kaNaNGkaL pala kaRan^thu *
ceRRaar thiRalazhiyac cenRu ceruc ceyyum *
kuRRam onRillaatha kOvalartham poRkotiyE *
puRRaravalkul punamayilE pOtharaay *
cuRRaththu thOzhimaar ellaarum van^thu * nin
muRRam pukun^thu mukilvaNNan pEr paata *
ciRRaathE pEcaathE celvap peNtaatti * nI
ERRukku uRaNGkum poruL ElOr empaavaay.          11.

After the birth of Kannan, it is believed that even the old cattle
turned back to the younger days. It is said that king Dasharatha,
found himself back in his youth after the birth of Sri Rama. Such is
the effect of oneâs association with the Lord. It is difficult to keep
count of the cattle individually. It is also difficult to keep track of
them in herds. Taking this advantage, the celestials descended on
the earth in the form of cattle and endeared themselves to Lord
Krishna. Kannan is popularly upheld as a master cowherd who
milked the entire herd. He made the livestock flourish with
richness. The cowherds would not continue with their trading of
milk and ghee. They proclaimed that they followed their practice of
milking the cows, only to free them off their soreness. They were
determined to fight the offenders like Kamsa and the like, who
would dare touch upon the pristine glories of Kannan. They would
not harm one who had put their weapon down. They were akin to
Sri Rama and showed the magnanimity of allowing their opponents
to retire and came back the next day. Andal continues addressing
one of her mates âOh illustrious! The one who is upheld as the
celebrity of the town, oh beauty personified! Your bewitching charm
makes the women folk lament for not having been born as men.
Your grace and the beauty of your tresses that resemble the
feathers of a peacock do enchant Lord Krishna and us. Arise
therefore and join us in our journey.â

The mate questions from inside âHave the others joined you
yet?â To this, comes the reply âYou do know well about the entire
habitation of Ayirpadi. We have all come and gathered in front of
your dwelling nowâ. The mate replies, âWhy did you choose mine?
That place is reserved for my Kannan when he comes to meet me.â
Andal replies, âIt is indeed to sing the divine names of the Lord who
has the hue of the rain bearing cloud and who is the object of your
choicest delightâ. Having heard of the mention of the Lord with the
dark hue of the cloud that referred to Kannan, the maid plunged
into a delightful ecstasy immersing herself in Kannanâs glories and
withdrew herself back to her bed even without taking notice of the
breaking day.

Andal replies, âYou are his favourite spouse. Your heart is now
filled with the bliss of having heard the glories of Kannan and you
have immersed yourself in his virtues. It would be our fortune if we
get to go to our morning showers in your company. You have
retired back to your bed, refusing our invitation. Is this really worth
a thing? The greatest bliss is indeed to join in the celebration along
with the Lordâs sub-servients. Why are you acting like a recluse in
self-experience? Why are you still in a slumber forgetting your
ambition, failing to consider our desperate pleas and at the same
time overlooking the possibility of the wonderful fortune of joining
with Kannan. Had Kannan not been in your house, and then you
too would have participated in our observances of nombu. Is it not?
Inner purport â Preceptors who are like the cattle impart the
milk of divine teachings to their disciples who are like the calves.
Wealth does not join a Jeevan in his spiritual journey. It only
bestows momentary material pleasure. The divine names of the
Lord, on the other hand bestow one with the eternal wealth of
beatitude

Andal ThiruvaDigaLE  SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana