You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Feb 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00018 Feb 2003

Dear  BhakthAs:

You would  enjoy the write up by
Our SrI MadhavakkaNNan of Singapore
on a sister  list about  a great
SrI VaishNavite  AchAryan .

I had  written earlier about Maasi makam
and Lord DevanAthan's  RathnAngi Kiamkaryam .
It is  so good that SrI Madhava KaNNan pointed out
the significance of this date since there would not
have been an ALavanthAr or RaamAnujA without
the intervention of MaNakkAl nampi.

NamO NaarAyaNAya ,
V.sadagopan

acharya-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> [...]

>the spiritual successor to Nathamuni.. But, he could not meet Alavandar,
>being a king now to discuss the matter. He came out with an idea. He came to
>know that the king relishes thoodhu vaLai keerai (kind of spinach). He
>supplied that spinach to the royal kitchen daily. After few months, he
>stopped. The king asked the cook as to why the spinach is not being served.
>They replied saying "one brahmin used to supply. He does not come nowadys."
>Alavandhar told them that he would like to meet him, if he comes next. Next
>day, they met each other.
>
>Rama misrar told Alavandhar that his grandfather Sri Nathamuni had passed on
>the family wealth (kula dhanam) that needs to be handed over to Sri
>Alavandhar. Alavandhar said, "in that case, give me that."
>"No. It is not here. Come with me.". He took him all the way to Srirangam
>Koil. (ArAdha aruLamudham podhintha kOil). He showed Alavandhar, the Divya
>mangaLa vigraham of Sri Ranganathan. Looking at the Lord, in such divine
>splendour, the divine beauty- and looking (with tears rolling down his
>cheeks) at those "kariyavaagi, pudai parandhu, miLirndha, sevvariyOdiya,
>neeNda, ap periya vaaya kaNgaL.." (those dark, well spread, shining, ruddy
>lined, long, large eyes)-
>
>He bursts out:
>I have nothing to give you. None at all. I have no quailifications. I am
>not religious. What a Great person my Grand Father was! What am I! I have no
>one but You(the embodiment of mercy! Compassion!- dayA) as my refuge. He
>performed Saranagathy at the Lotus Feet of Lord Ranganathan.
>
>na dharma nishtOsmi na chaatma vEdi
>na bhaktimaan tvaccharaNAravindE
>akinchanOananyagatih saraNya!
>tvat paadamoolam saranam prapadye. (Sthothra Rathnam- 22nd sloka)
>
>Oh you worthy of being sought as refuge! I am not one established in
>Dharma, nor am i a knower of the self. I have no fervent devotion to your
>lotus-feet. Utterly destitute as I am, and having none else for resort, I
>take refuge under your feet. (Translation by Swamy Adidevananda)
>
>Rama Misra explained the purpose of his mission and requested Alavandar to
>take over the reins of spiritual leadership bequeathed to him by his
>illustrious grandfather, Nathamuni. Alavandar took to Sannyas and was then
>known as YAMUNA MUNI.
>
>Thus, Sri Manakkaal nambhi became an important link to Srivaishnavam.
>[The above is based on sri Anbil Mama's write up]
>Manakkaal nambhi ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
>Regards
>namo narayana
>dAsan

>Srivaasa Ranga Parakaala Munitrayaapta Lakshmaatma
>Rakshana Yathitva Yugaagamaantham /
>Achaarya Bhakthi Pari pootham Anargha Seelam
>Gopaala Desika Munim Gurum Aasrayaamaha //
>
>(meaning)
>We seek refuge at the sacred feet of our revered AchAryan,
>Sri Gopala MahA Desikan, who received the sacred rites of samAsrayaNam ,
Bhara SamarpaNam from the great AchAryA,
>Sri Srinivasa MahA Desikan (Srimad Poundarikapuram Andavan); ThurIyAsramam
from Sri Srinivasa MahA Desikan
>(Srimad VeNNaaRRankarai Andavan) and the wealth of
>Ubhaya VedAntham from Srimad Abhinava Ranganatha
>Brahmatantra Swantantra Parakaala Yatindra Maha Deshikan.
>He shines with illustrious sadAchAram and is resplendent
>with his limitless AchArya Bhakthi.

Rent DVDs Online-No late fees! Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/OdoN7C/oEZFAA/46VHAA/XUWolB/TM