You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Feb 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00006 Feb 2005

Dear Sri VenkatEsaa Iyengar :

You have asked for readers" comments regarding
the Q&A excerpts from HH Chinna Jeeyar's corrspondence .

Although the subject matter is controversial and can generate
lot more heat than light , I am responding to your request
because of your many services to unite Sri VaishNava Kulam
thru MahA Sudarsana Yaj~nam & other tireless kaimkaryams .

Here is my input : I am surprised at the answer from
HH the Jeeyar for the question from a devotee .

I totally disagree with the misrepresentation of facts
embedded in the answer .

This answer does not help to unite . It only aggravates the unfortunate
existing divisions . Vadakalai and TennAchArya  SamprahdAyam
are the two eyes of Sri VaishNavam . You do not hurt one eye to
nourish the other . Both are vital for proper sight  and both are rooted
in Bhagavath RaamAnuja SiddhAntham . To say that "Vadakalai people
want to seperate them (?)  from the main stream " is confusing and
distorting
the facts on ground .

Swamy  Desikan was a contemproary of Swamy PiLLailOkAcchAr and
was highly respected by the latter . In the battle at Srirangam (Muslim
invasion ) , one died and the other nearly died . Swamy Desikan escaped
death and left for Melkote . During that difficult journey , Swamy  Desikan
carried the Commentary of Sri Bhaashyam  by Sri Sudarsana Soori with him
and saved that Sri Bhaashyam commentary for posterity . Where will all
Sri VaishNavAs be , if we had lost Srutha PrakAsika at Srirangam ? ,
How can one describe such a Mahaan as not having respect for
Bhagavath RaamAnuja SiddhAntham ?

Swamy Desikan's life was centered around studying Sri BhAshyam ,
performing KaalakshEpam on  it 30 times in his life to his disciples ;
He wrote AdhikaraNa SaarAvaLi to explain it and used Sankalpa SooryOdhayam,
Para Matha Bhangam , Tatthva Muktha KalApam , SarvArTa Siddhi
to defend Bhagavath RaamAnuja SiddhAntham . In the last slOkam of
Sri RanganAtha PaadhukA Sahasram , Swamy Desikan pays His tremendous
tribute to the power of YathirAja Sookthis . Swamy Desikan extolls further
the power of YathirAja Sookthis with 74 SlOkams in YathirAja Sapthathi .
How can he be accused of making his own brand of Desika Darsanam
and downplay Bhagavath RaamAnuja SiddhAntham  . He recognized
the main stream of Bhagavath RaamAnuja Siddhantham and immersed in it
all his life and celebrated that BhAgyam thru his Sri Sookthis and
bequeathed
it for all of us as Kula dhanam . By the way , the bhirudhu for Vadakalai
AchAryAs
 is " Bhagavath RaamAnuja SiddhAntha NirdhAraNa Saarvabhouma " .

It is incorrect hence to say that Vadakalai people follow only VedAntha
Desika and not Bhagavath RaamAnuja . Swamy Desikan exemplified
Bhakthi for AchArya RaamAnuja all his life and he would have considered
himself as  a fish out of water , if he had no RaamAnuja Sambhandham .
That goes for all Vadakalai sampradhAyains . Exclusivity of one sampradhAyam
as belonging to Bhagavath RaamAnuja and building the case on
this ricketty  foundation is divisive in my humble opinion and
does not serve any useful purpose.

Let us all be proud of belonging to the Sri VaishNava Kulam that
starts with the Dhivya Dampathis down to present day AchAryAs .
There are not too many VaishNavAs in the world anyway and let us
unite them instead of dividing them  .

adiyEn requests the revered Jeeyar to help heal these wounds .

RaamAnuja Daasan,
V.Sadagopan (V.SaThakOpan ), New York