You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Feb 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00136 Feb 2005

Sri Parthasarathi thunai

Srimathe ramanujaya Namaha

Srimad Vara Vara MunayE namaha

Sri Vanachala mahA munayE namaha

Kannapiran felt ashamed to have kept his dear devotees waiting for such a long time and andal’s words in the 21st and 22nd paasurams further drained the heart of Krishna.  So he started to answer from inside.  But andal and her mates who have approached krishna not for any other purpose but for the very purpose of enjoying krishnAnubhavam (ananyaprayOjanargal) immediately said, “mAri malai muzhangil manni kidandurangum seeriya singam arivuRRu tee vizhiththu vEri mayir ponga eppAdum pErindhu vudhari moori nimirindhu muzhangi purappattu pOdharumApOlE” Oh! Krishna come out like a lion that has just awakened and is coming out of its den.  We have enjoyed your beauty while lying down.  Now we will like to enjoy your walking beauty.  Valmiki bhagavan enjoys the walking style of ramapiran as “gaja simha gathi veerow sArdhoola vrushabhoopamow” There is one thirunamam in sahasranamam “chaturgathi:” gathi can refer to either the purusharthas viz., dharma, artha, kama, moksha or the 4 types of walks exhibited by emperuman (walking majestically like a lion, or leaping like a ox, or slowly like an elephant or ferrociously like a tiger).  Andal here wants to visualize the beauty of emperuman’s walk and hence she says, “vun kOil nindru enganE pOndaruli”

Is that enough? Oh No we will not stop with that.  Come here and seat yourself on the divine throne (the adisesha peedam that will make even krishna adorned as “ElA poigal vuraippAnai” to speak the truth) so that we enjoy your sitting beauty.  Why does andal want to enjoy the same krishna in different postures? The answer is one another question.  Why do we all enjoy the different thirukolams of the archa emperumans day in and day out? (“appOdaikku appOdhu ArAvamudhu!”) True Srivaishnavas enjoy emperuman in any form, whether it is his divine darshan or meditating on his kalyana gunas or discussing the same with others (matchittA: matgatha prAnA: bhOdhayantha parasparam).

Why didn’t andal express what she actually wanted in this very paasuram?  Because she knew that only when told in the right time she will obtain the appropriate result and hence she opens her heart only in “chittram siru kAlE” paasuram.  BharatAzhvan told his wish in an inappropriate time and hence had to wait for 14 years before he attained his wish.  Andal didn’t make that mistake but was cautious.  So she says “yAm vandha kAriyam ArAindhu arul”

 (To be continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here