You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Feb 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00005 Feb 2008

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Though the following may not be directly connected with the 'wave of love' topic, it may be totally new information to many. When I went through the sreemadh bhaagavatham in search of the points for the 'wave of love' article, I got this. It was a pleasant surprise for me  and thought of sharing with all of you immediately.

You all know krishNa had 10 patta mahishis – queens, with rukmiNi [or vaidharbhee] being the 'numero uno'. Others are

  1. Sathyabhaamaa
  2. Bhadhraa
  3. Jaambavathi
  4. Mithravindhaa
  5. Sathyaa [she is also known as kosalaa since dhroupathy addresses as kosalE]
  6. KaaLindhee
  7. Saibhyaa
  8. LakshmaNaa [this lady and rama's brother lakshmaNa has commonality in name only – of course male female difference is there - also both appeared in different yugams]
  9. RohiNee [this rohiNee and balarama's mother rohiNee are different again]

On the marriage scene of 'lakshmaNaa' – the point I want to draw your attention is – krishNa appeared in the 4 handed form – the real vishNu form – the 'chathurbhuja' form – as he appeared in front of the parents in the jail while being born.

This information she herself says to dhroupathee --

– in 10th skandham - sargam 83 - slokam 32

maam thaavadh rathham aarOpya haya rathna chathushtayam |

saarngam udhyamya sannadhdhha sthasthhaavaajou chathurbhujah ||

meaning: At that point lifting me in the chariot with its four gems of horses stood He, preparing His Saarnga and donning His armor, on the battleground with His four arms [displayed in full].

Again while marrying this 'lakshmaNaa'– same competition of hitting the fish's eye with an arrow as arjuna did to win dhroupathee – in case of lakshmaNaa arjuna also failed – as she herself says to dhroupathee - but krishNa won this competition and married her.

May be this is the second time he appears in that '4 armed vishNu' form. Also note the appearance of 'saarngam' in hand. We have seen sudharsana chakrambeing used by krishNa in occasions but saarngam here.

The other special 'visva roopa' or his 'specialty roopa' dharsanams are

·        to arjuna -as in bhagavadh geethaa

·        to dhuryOdhana and all assembled in the kourava durbar

·        to karNa specially in the time of death of karNa

·        to mother yasOdhaa – in the mud eating episode

1.      to the gopees in the raasa leela time – though not exactly the visva roopam - it is the multitude in number - in thousands – one krishNa to each one of the 1000s of gOpees - which makes that specialty to call it as his 'visvaroopam'

2.      to akroora while sitting in the chariot – again not exactly the visva sroopam but as the supreme lord with that sesha sayana roopam - in the 4 handed form - as in ksheera abhdhhi - with all sidhhas, saaraNaas et al hanging around in the space around the lord - as in milk ocean - inside the river water – that specialty roopam.

3.      to parents in the jail just at the time of birth – that vishNu form 4 handed form – being the first one

4.      to jaambavaan as raama.

They are all NOT so specific about that 4 handed vishNu form except to parents in jail.

o       any particular instance left out in the above list?

One thing can be - may be when the baala leelaas are repeated for dhEvakee, when she meets krishNa later at dhvaarakaa, and she wanted to see all that child's play of krishNa, krishNa repeats the scenes of brindhaavan and gokulam – at that time a replay of the above listed specialty dharsanams - like repeat telecast like these days.

– but since it is a replay – cannot be added to the list]

Is this lakshmaNaa's marriage not something wonderful?

What is the special privilege of that 'lakshmaNaa'?

While marrying her, why the lord is showing the 4 handed form?

Can somebody throw some light on this point?

I welcome any point - even hearsay also is ok – I mean authenticity is not looked for.

Let us continue the wave of love in next post.

dhasan

Vasudevan MG __._,_.___

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan
http://www.sadagopan.org