You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Feb 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00116 Feb 2008

SrI:

Dear Sriman Raghavachari :

Mangudi is where our ancient family lands
were cultivated . My Paternal Grandfather and his
poorvALs lived in those days at Poundarikapuram
and were landholders in Mangudi , which I think
was known as ChathurvEdha Mangalam .
Maangudi Raaman was their Family Dhaivam.
Maangudi had a small agrahAram in those days.
There were Yajur Vedic Scholars there .
My grandfather and his brother were
PoorNAdhikAris in Yajur Vedam & PourOhithyam .

My Grandfather and his brother   moved to
Oppiliappan Sannidhi from Poundarilapuram
in the Thirties and the Mangudi based teneant farmers continued
to cultivate our land . Finally , the Tamil Nadu
Govt passed a rule that the tenant farmers can
become owners if the land owner did not cultivate
the land or some thing like that . During this period ,
my granfather's brother ( Chinna Taatthaa ) ,
Sriman Desikachari settled down in Mangudi
to be close to our ancestral lands to keep
them in the family and at the same time served
as the AarAdhakar for the Maangudi Temple .
That lasted a few years . We lost touch .
I am told that today , the temple is well
maintained .Sriman Mannargudi Srinivasan
Naarayanan of Illinois has visited Mangudi
number of times and knew of my Chinna TaatthA
there . He may provide you some more particulars .

Best wishes ,
V.Sadagopan