You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00000 Jan 2006

Jan 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:
Srimathe Gopaladesika Mahadesikaya Namah:

Dearest all,
While I was listening to the upanyasam [cassette] on
KooratthAzhwAn by Sri U VE Velukkudi Krishnan Swami, I
was I would like to mention that here so that we can
attempt to
ape and inculcate a fraction of these gunAs. That can
be the new year resolution, isn's it?

amaanithvam, adhambithvam, ahimsaa, kshaanthi:,
aarjavam/
aachaarya upaasanam, saucham, sthairyam,
aathmavinigraha:// (GitA- Ch 13- 7)

Very simple slOka: (since Velukkudi Swamy explained it
so beautifully, I would like to share) I am not going
to explain how it refers to Sri KooratthAzhwAn (it
should be heard from Swamy�s cassette- then only one
can enjoy). Let me just say what the sloka enlists and
refers to and what it means:

1. amaanithvam: Vidya garvam, dhana garvam, kula
garvam, etc.. is the feeling of pride for one's
intelligence or knowledge (education), or wealth, or
kulam (that he is from great  family, Bharadwaja
gOthram etc..), and that one is good looking, is all
called maanam One who has it is maanee. Amaanee  is
the one who does not have these prides. Means: the
moment one has this pride, other Bhagawathas will be
looked down, by him, means- he commits BhAgawatha
apacharam. ammanithvam- freedom from superirity
complex arising out of vida, lineage and riches.

2. adhamibithvam- [not] having no shaasthric knowledge
but showing off as if dharmic... no dhmbam- no blowing
of one's own trumpet: If one does some good deed,
dharmam, like contributing to some Divya Desam or for
any kainkarya, he shall not blow his trumpet.. It is
His money, He takes it for His temple.. We are only
instrumental, as a messenger.

3. ahimsaa: not only in action, also by speech, and
thought, we need to avoid hurting other beings; not
just human beings,- all beings...through manas, vaak,
kaayam- no injury to others...

4. kshaanthi: patience- At any point of time, one
should avoid anger. We can cultivate anger- i.e.
pretending anger.. but not getting angry.. (Here, I am
not able to resist referring to KooratthAzhwAn's
asking the Lord for the same good for Nalooran (who
was responsible for even the loss of AzhWan's
eyesight) too, as his.....

5. aarjavam- manas, vaak, body (kaayam)- all shall be
same working in tandem.. What the mind thinks, the
mouth shall speak.. (not vaay vaazhaipazham, kai
karuNaikkizhangu.). what one speaks, the body shall
act..uLLonru vaitthu puRamonRu pEsaadhirutthal..
Otherwise, it will be kapatam.. That is the lakshaNam
of dhuraathmA; not mahAthmA. thus, filled with uniform
disposition towards all is aarjava.

6. Aachaarya upaasanam- praising one�s AchAryan at
all times- thinking of Him at all times- having a
thought that whatever jnAnam that one possesses,
(sathvishayam) is all due to being His Thiruvadi. We
need to prostrate Him,
very many times, ask, enquire respectfully, and get
our doubts clarified. We need to perfrom kaimkaryam to
Him (of not physically, at least monetarily..- by
allocating some funds from the earning..). We need to
celebrate His Thirunakshathram, in a grand manner at
our home, with family and children, recite His
thaniyan, and saying SrimathE raamaanujaaya Namah: as
many times as possible on that day at least (108, 1008
times..)

7.  Saucham- parisuddhi.. one shall be pure.. means:
one has to perform necessarily the nithya karmas like
sandhyavandhanam. We need to be pure, physically and
mentally.. dhVesham (feeling jealous), telling lies..
is all asuddham (dirt to our mind..) what is said as
anAchAram, to be avoided in Ahara niyamam, one needs
to avoid as much as we can.. Avoid as much as
possible, para annam (hotels- eating outside) not that
we disrespect, but
that it may contaminate our already contaminated
minds..

8. sthairyam: being steady.. Firmness- That is
essential. This can be achieved only when we have no
confusion or be influence by non-vedic thoughts
/arguments. (Sri Velukkudi Swamy said just by a simple
reading of the meaning /commentary of Sri Alavandhars
SthOthra Rathnam, one can get all their doubts
clarified.. Very true.. There are commentaries of
Swamy desikan, Periya vaachanpiLLai. On this great
hymn.. Really marvellous.. all
our queries on tatvatrayam, Vishitadvaitham, anya
dEvathA will all vanish..) the best option is: Just
stay as AchArya Thiruvadi.. means: What our AchAryan
says is TRUTH.. Close your ears for other things..
Where goes.. is where the Thiruvadi will go.. It can
not go separately.. unshakable faith in saasthra
related to self is sthairya...

9. aathmavinigarah: - means: Other than the knowledge
of actual swaroopam of jIvAthmA (which is being
dhaasabhootham / sEshan / servant  of  Emperumaan
Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan), any other jnAnam /
longing for any other shall be KILLED (or in other
words, CURTAILED..)

Please forgive adiyEn, if it sounds preaching. That is
not the intent. I was so inspired by this slOkam when
Sri Velukkudi Swamy referred to, I wished to share and
would like to remind ourselves for inculcating the
above nine qualities and start (if not already being
followed), as NEW YEAR RESOLUTION..

Regards
namo narayana
Acharyan ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam