You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00031 Jan 2006

Jan 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Members:

There was a question from a Member of a sister group on
the words , VidhmahE , Dheemahi and PrachOdhayAth.

Some reflections on the topic is included below.

Mahaa NaarAyaNOPanishad has many manthrams ,
which are known as Rudra Gaayathri , Garuda Gaayathri ,
Durga Gaayathri et al.

Rudra Gaayathri is :

TathpurushAya vidhmahE MahAdEvAya dheemahi
tannO Rudhra: prachOdhayAth

( Meaning ) : We meditate upon that PurushA - Sriman NaarAyaNan .
For that purpose , we devote ourselves to MahA Deva . May that Rudra
prompt /invigorate us for that meditation  on the Supreme Purushan .

Devotees of these deities recite these ManthrAs.These are not required
recitation for all every day . For us , NaarAyaNann is Sarva BhUtha
antharAthmA including Rudran , Durga , VinAyaka et al . PurushA in
this Manthram refers only to ParamAthmA Sriman NaarAyaNan .

Rudra UpAsanam is the hEthu for Sriman NaarAyaNa (SankarOpAsanasya
Bhagavadh upAsana hEthuthvAth) . Why SanakrA specially? The adage is :
" SankarAth Jn~Anam icchEth " (One should seek Jn~Anam from SankarA
to meditate on Sriman NaarAyaNa .Sankara is the Parama BhAgavathA ,
who as DakshiNAmoorthy grants that Jn~Anam and sets the Four Maharishis
on the correct path toward Jn~Anam as a result of Lord HayagrIvan's anugraham.

The recommended manthram for PrapannAs and ParamaikAnthis is
the celebrated VishNu Gaayathri :

NaarAyaNAya VidhmahE VaasudEvAya dheemahi ,
tannO VishNu: PrachOdhayAth .

(Meaning ): We meditate ( VidhmahE) upon NaarAyaNa .
For that ( success in that ) , we devote ourselves ( dheemahi)
to VaasudEva . May that Lord VishNu invigorate us ( prachOdhayAth) .

The names of the Vaikunta NaathAn thru his three VyApaka
manthrams  are integrated here . NaarAyaNa Manthram
or AshtAkshari is the PoorNa VyApaka Manthram ( Moola
ManthrAdhikAram of Srimath Rahasya Thraya Saaram ).
The other two are asampoorNam .

VidhmahE means then we meditate ( UpAsanai) .

Dheemahi means , we devote ourselves .

PrachOdayAth means Let that  Rudra , the MahA Tapasvi, stimulate
or invigorate us.

In the MahA Gayathri Manthram , there are only two steps in the UpAsanai :
BhargO Devasya Dheemahi---na: prachOdhayAth .

V.Sadagopan