From: "Rashmi Rajan" <rash_ksr@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <parakalamatham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 12:42 AM
Subject: [SriParakalaMatham] Some genuine doubts

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
>  I realy want to know the significance of
>
>  Rahu kalam
>  Gulika kalam
>  Yamagantaka kalam
>
>  and what they stand for ?
>  By following them what do we actually achieve ?
>
>  As I have heard my elders generally say that any kind of good work
should not be started at rahu kalam . Actually what is the reason?

>  I would be pleased if somebody could enlighten me on that .
>
>  Regards,
>  Rashmi

1. Rahu Kaalam is linked to the 8th Graham among Nava Graham .
This is typically an asubha graham , who is also a trunkless
person ( Head cut off during the distribution of nectar ).
Auspicious events are not started during the Raahu Kaalam ,
a time set aside for Raahu . It is 90 minutes , which varies from
day to day . Sun Rise time is used to compute those 90 minutes
for the 7 week days linked to the 7 subha grahams among
nava grahams. For instance , Raahu Kaalam is between 7.30 AM to 9 AM
on MOnday  . It is 4.30 PM to 6 PM on Sunday devoted to Sooryan ,
the First of the Nava Grahams .

2. Yama Kantam : There are 90 minutes ( One and half hours ) devoted to
this and the connection here is to Kethu , the 9th of the Nava graham
with inauspicous connotions again like Raahu . Yama Kantam on Monday
is between 10.30 to 12.00 Noon . On Sunday , it is between 12.00 Noon to
1.30 PM .

3. GuLikan is devoted to Bhagavathi , whose worship is prominent in KeraLa.
There are day GuLikans and Night GuLikans . It is also a time period of
90 minutes , which vary from day to day . For Monday , the Pahal(Day)
GuLikan is between 1.30 to 3.00 PM and the night GuLikan is between
7.30 PM to 9 PM .Various Theyyam uthsavams at KeraLa Bhagavathy temples
are elaborate affairs with colorful masks of Bhagavathy ,  a goddess of
many moods .

I request other devotees to add othe rinformation related to these
questions.

Hope this helps ,
V.Sadagopan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/XUWolB/TM