You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00099 Jan 2006

Jan 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Post 2
Dear SrivaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We saw two beautiful verses of krishNa the mother and krishNa the
child ? common thread between these two is feeding the child with
milk. In one we are the children, in the other we are the mothers,
the roles get reversed. Now a question arises - In both cases,
1.      Is it that the milk is important or
2.      That action of feeding the child is important or
3.      That thread of `love' between Krishna and we, or ourselves is
important?

Perhaps for the best answer, I seek your help. Or I will leave it to
your good judgment to find the best answer.

Now let us analyse the lines of Bharathi  -

uNNa uNNath thevittaadhE ? ammai uyir enum mulaiyinil uNarvu enum
paal.
vaNNam uRa vaiththu enakkE en than vaayinil koNdu oottum Or vaNmai
udaiyaaL

kaNNan enum peyar udaiyaaL ? ennaik katti niRai vaan enum than kaiyil
aNaiththu
maN enum than madiyil vaiththE ? pala maayam uRum kadhai solli manam
kaLippaaL.

That word vaNNam has more than one meaning
?       vaNNam is niRam - colour.
?       vaNNam is azhagu - mean beauty
?       vaNNam is ozhungu - means regularity

That word
vaNmai means vaLLal thanmai
vaNmai ? means eegai
?       kEtkaamalE dhaanamaaga kodukkum thanmai - the character of
giving - giving without asking
Dear - is it dhayaa ? is it vaathsalyam ? is it kaaruNyam? In
Sanskrit what it is?

Let us not worry about the wordplay ? just relish krishNa the mother
feeding me - the child - with milk. That is all.

See that `enakkE' ? aaNdaal said `naaraayaNanE namakkE paRai
tharuvaan [1st] ? unakkE naam aatcheivOm ?[29th]'. See that
royal `we' ? `naam' and `namakkE'. He that supreme has become
singular ? tharuvaan ? unakku.
Similarly here poet bharathi says `enakkE' ? that emphasis on `kE'-
the Ekaaram ? the power behind that Ekaaram shows the great extent of
that basic belief on krishNa.

In that `ennaik katti ? than kaiyil aNaiththu - madiyil vaiththu ?
manam kaLippaL' ? oh ?enjoy the words ? relish and see the amount of
caring
?       chain me in that loop
?       of her hands ? then embrace with hands
?       place in the lap
?       be mentally happy.

Relish slowly that enjoyment of krishNa the mother - in my mental
world - me as the child -
§       caressing the child,
§       looping with hands,
§       placing gently the child on her lap
§       explicitly showing the internal happiness
mother only can do all that
? krishNa the universal mother ? me the `care-less' `care free' child
in the lap of my mother krishNa.

Here krishNa does all that besides feeding. Oh what a rich verse.

perhaps that uchchi muhardhal of the child ? smelling the kapOlam -
top of head ? is missed by the poet - may be grammatically could not
be accommodated to suit the chandham, edugai, mOnai, etc.  So left
out.

or is it that - as said in the other song uchchi thanai mugharnthaal
garuvam Ongi vaLarudhadee ? if the smelling of top is done, the pride
grows rapidly for the mother ? so left out ? pride not to be shown
now, for child is being fed ? when mother feels proud same will be
fed to child via that breast milk. That is not good for child's
mental health.

[please recall lines of chinnam chiRu kiLiyE kaNNamma another famous
song by same bhaarathi].

By just saying `vaan enum kai' and `maN enum madi' of that krishNa,
author places us on an elevated platform - to think on that krishNa's
thrivikrama svaroopam ? his visva roopam ? but coming as mother to
feed me, the child, her child
?       that visva roopam to his arjuna
?       or as child `maNNaith thinRu vaayinuL vaiyam' ? eating earth
and showing world in the mouth - to mother yasOdha ? vaiyam kaNdaaL
?       to maarkaNdEya ? aalin yilai meL oru baalakanaai gnaalaM
Ezhum uNdaan.

agRe samagrayathi kaamapi kElilakshmeem
anyaasu dhikshvapi vilOchanam Eva saakshee |
haa hantha hastha pathha dhooram ahO kim Ethath
aaseeth  kisOramayam amba jagathrayam mE ? 1-60 krishNa karNaamrutham

Is it that is mother krishNa or child krishNa? Am I the mother or am
I the child? Or some times this sometimes that?
oh ? yes - we have another krithi also where krishNa is the child ?
and me the mother to feed that child krishNa - missed that in the
emotions of this verse and enjoying krishNa the mother.

Can we see it next post. With your permission to leave at this stage ?
 to allow you to relish the great verse slowly and its meanings.

Dhasan
Vasudevan m.g.

PS: on the slOkam of krishNa karnaamrutham also we will see in next
post. Those who can understand Sanskrit please do enjoy the link.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/XUWolB/TM