You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00112 Jan 2006

Jan 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Post 3

Dear SrivaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We saw two beautiful verses of krishNa the mother and krishNa the child -
common thread between these two being 'feeding the child with milk'. In one we
are the children, in the other we are the mothers, the roles getting reversed.
We also saw some points on the great verse of Bharathi. My friend asked me 'how
you are going to link the two great verses mother krishNa verse and child
krishNa verse?' The answer lies in the slOkam of Krishna karNaamrutham.

agRe samagrayathi kaamapi kEli lakshmeem

anyaasu dhikshu api vilOchanam Eva saakshee |

haa hantha hastha pathha dhooram ahO kim Ethath

aaseeth  kisOramayam amba jagathrayam mE || - 1-60 krishNa karNaamrutham

meaning: amba - oh mother

aho kim Ethath - oh what is this?

kaam api kEli lakshmeem - that playful beauty krishNa which cannot be described

mE agrE samagrayathi - appears in front of me

anyaasu dhikshu api - in all other directions also

jagath thrayam kisOramayam aaseeth - these 3 worlds have become child Krishna

vilOchanam Eva saakshee - seeing is the witness

hasthapatha dhooram - it is at a hands distance

ha hantha - difficulty?

Meaning: oh mother, what is this? That playful beauty, krishNa, who cannot be
described so easily, appears in front of me and has become child Krishna, I am
seeing [him] in all other directions also and these 3 worlds have become [him].
Seeing is the witness to this. This beauty is at a hands distance. Is it then a
difficulty to see? [realise?]

Point: please note the addressing as 'Oh mother' - is it to mother krishNa or
to self or the real mother of the poet? Realizing as though the lord is
standing in front as mother first and then appearing as child - the real
qualification for a serious bhakthaa - to see his lord in front - at one time
as mother, another time as a child, third a lover, next a teacher, another time
a servant etc, - same thing is happening here - in this slOkam for leelaa
sukhar. That is what we are also enjoying through these bhakthaas verses and
slOkams - one time krishNa the mother, another minute krishNa the child. What
is the proof? - as stated - seeing with own eyes - vilOchanam Eva saakshee - is
it seeing with these fleshy eyes or is it seeing with mental eyes - realizing?
Oh, what a great slOkam?

Now we will get back to the krithi of annamaachaarya - where krishNa is the
child and we have to feed -

in charaNam 1

kaamidhai paaridhenchi kaagEdhi vennalOna |

chEma poovu kadiyaala chEyi petti |

cheema guththenani thana chekkita kanneeru jaara |

vEmaru vaapOvu vaani veththuvettarE ||

meaning: He came in a hurry, put his hand which has the wrist ornament with the
golden "chEmanthi" flower, in the boiling butter. As he did that, he started
crying, saying that ants bit his hand, with tears falling from his eyes onto
his cheeks. Bring him and pacify him!

Point: krishNa rushed to the house of gOpee and put his hand [having a gold
chaamanthi flower ornament] in hot butter kept for melting into ghee. Having
felt the heat and speedily taking out the hands from the pot, he says to the
ladies in front who have seen him - 'ants bit him' - not knowing it is the
effect of heat. For he is in the learning stage.

The butter pot is the place krishNa got educated. Do you want any reference

- here it is - periyaazhvaar -

"veNNai vizhungi verunkalaththai verpidai yittu adhan Osai kEtkum

kaNNa piraan kaRRa kalvi thannai kaakkakillOm un maganai kaavaai"

- first two lines of 2- 9- 1 paasuram. (verpu is malai or hill).

'Eating such stolen butter and then throwing the butter pots in the place near
the hill, hearing the sounds of those pots crashing', these are the lessons -
krishNa had his early education oh yasOdhaa - please save your child krishNa

- may be the 'KG lessons' from the butter pots for krishNa - lessons on how to
utter lies [?] for later he had regular lessons from guru saandheepani.

The lesson from above lesson is to tell lie - though heat has punished the
hand, says ants bit the hand.

[re MGV's 15 part series titled 'kaNNa piraan kaRRa veNNaik kalvi' in 1999 in
bhakti list for a full 'butter education']

In charaNam 2 - another reason - started crying complaining pain, with
mouth-water falling all around - joLLu flowing down from mouth and cries saying
pain in hand.

In third charaNam -

eppudu vacchenO maa yillu jochchi peththelOna |

chepparaani vungaraala chEyi petti |

appadaina vEnkataadhri asapaalakudu kaana |

thappakuNda bettivaani thalakettarE ||

meaning: When he came to our house, nobody knows. He put his hand with rings
adorning his fingers into our belongings, which he is not supposed to do
(chepparaani - he is doing mischievous things that cannot be said). Once you
find Krishna [our father Lord Venkatesa is that krishNa] catch hold of him,
imprison him in a box, and lift him on the head! (and then go to yasOdhaa and
make a complaint.)

Point: See in first charaNam it is gold 'chEmanthi', in second it is 'murugu'
here it is rings - that indicates yasOdhaa's wealth - shows the decoration
mother did to her pet child. Periyaazhvaar has listed a full padhigam - 10
verses listing who gave what - a big list - starting with gold cradle by
Brahmaa - 'maNikkam katti' padhigam.

Another interpretation for the 'vEnkatEsudasapaalakudu kaana' - Our father Sri
vEnkatEsa, is the one who has no ruler (paalaka) on par with Him (asapAlaka =
no sapAlaka). Hence kaana thappakuNda bettivaani thalakettarE - put Him in the
box and lift Him over the head!

After talking so much about bAlakrishna's playful 'veNNaik kalvi' - education
from butter stealing - his soulabhyam of mingling with all, author annamayyaa
talks about His parathvam - one who has no equal to him. The last two lines are
a beautiful combination of both, since poet wants the supreme lord -
sarvEswaran to be imprisoned in a box [that is what we have done - put him in a
box in 'saalagraamam' form in our house and then do offer poojaas]. He has to
be lifted above head - see again he has to be kept above head - his feet
touching our head - his parathvam and our 'dhaasathvam' to him expressed in a
single line - simple line.

[Another paatam for the line 'appadaina vEnkatAdri asapaalakudu kaana' - so it
is not a mistake please - in previous post it was venkatesudasapaalakudu gaana].

Whether it is mother or child Krishna - the milk he has fed us - the bhakthi on
him - is something superb and drink that milk repeatedly. [concluded]

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

DISCLAIMER:
  This Message and its contents is intended solely for the addressee and is
proprietary.Information in this mail is for L&T Business Usage only. Any Use to
other than the addressee is misuse and infringement to Proprietorship of L&T
ECC.If you are not the addressee please return the mail to the sender.L&T ECC
DIVISION

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/XUWolB/TM