You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00131 Jan 2006

Jan 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

  Dear Kannan:

  The answer is in the Sahasranaamaa itself. A few verses after the one you
have stated, there is this verse which states: "Shrii Raama Raama Raameethi
Ramee Raamee manooramee, sahasranaama thaththulyam -Raama Naama Varaananee".
  This means that Raama Naama is equivalent to 1000 names of Vishnu. So is
stated by IIshwaraa, and this is acknowledged by yoogiis and enlightened souls.
However, this verse is not the one for chanting. I would use the verse: "OM -
Shriiraam Jayaraam Jayajaya Raam"-- and repeat it any number of times.

  Alternatively, there are other verses: For example in the same Sahasranaama,
there is the verse which glorifies NaaraayaNaa, which is: "Vanamaalii, gadhii,
saarangii, shankii, chakrii, cha, Nandhakii, Sriimaan NaaraayaNoo Vishnur
Vaasudheevoo abhirakshathu". This can be chanted along with: OM NAMOO
NAARAAYANAAYA-- as many times as possible.

  There are yet other manthraas that are considered to be very powerful. I
would suggest: "Shrii Krishnaa, Goovindhaa, Haree, Muraaree, Hey Naatha
NaaraayaNaa, Vaasudheevaa" -- This can be chanted many times too.

  Since you state that you are stricken with a disease, I would suggest a
prayer to Hanumaan, for example to Sarva Rooga NivaaraNa Hanumaan in
Nanganallur, Chennai. It goes as follows, as written by Shankaraachaarya:

  Dhuurii krutha Siithaarthihi, prakatitha Raama Vaibhava spuurthihi,
  Dhaaritha Dhasamukha Kiirthihi, purathoo mama bhaathu Hanumathoo muurthihi

One who has removed the sufferings of Siithaa, one who has proclaimed the glory
of Raamaa, One who has destroyed the renown of RaavaNaa, may that Hanuman's
figure shine in front of me.

  Hanumaan's theejas will remove the disease and the sufferings for sure!

  You can chant Hanumaan Chaaliisaa if you know. That is considered sacred too.

  I would pray to Hanumaan ardently and include Raamaa in my prayers and this
is the sure way of getting out of the disease and the sufferings.

  My mother was stricken with a stroke and she got well by chanting:
  OM SARVAM SHRII VEENKATEESHWARAAYA NAMAHA.

  So you see there are various prayers and chants. You choose the ones you like
and pray sincerely with ardent devotion.The Lord will hear you and come to your
rescue.

  Oom Namoo NaaraayaNaaya ---
  Wishing you get well to serve other devotees,

  A. Raman
  aravaram@xxxxxxxxx

  kankan_73 <kankan_73@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Lord Vishnu Said:

Yo maam nãma shahasrena shtotu michathi pãndava
Sohamékena slokena stuta evana samshayaha
Sthuta evana samshaya om nama ithi

Respected Members,

I would like to meditate the lord with one sloka from Vishnu Sahasra
Nama Stotram (though I chant the full Vishnu Sahasra Nama Stotra
once in a week)

My prayer to the Lord is to relieve me from a prolonged disease.

As I don't know Sanskrit and I am very new to devotion and
spirituality, I request your help. Please suggest which sloka will
be more suitable for me.

Kindly help me with your views.

Regards,
Kannan