From: "vgvindan" <vgvindan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <RaamaBhakthi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:00 AM
Subject: Thyagaraja Kriti - Bhakti Biccamiyyave - Raga Sankarabharanam

Sir, When I was translating the Kriti, the Thirumaalaip paasuram of
Thondaradippodiyaazhwar. Please read on.

Transliteration-Telugu
Transliteration as per Harvard-Kyoto (HK) Convention
(including Telugu letters - Short e, Short o) -

a   A     i    I     u   U
R  RR  lR  lRR
e  E   ai  o  O   au  M (H or :)

(e - short | E - Long |  o - short | O - Long)

k    kh   g   gh   G
c    ch   j   jh   J             (jn - as in jnAna)
T    Th   D   Dh   N
t    th   d   dh   n
p    ph   b   bh   m
y    r    l   L    v
z    S    s   h

Transliteration-Tamil
Transliteration as per Harvard-Kyoto (HK) Convention
(including Tamil letters - Short e, Short o, R and zh and nh) -

a   A     i    I     u   U
e  E   ai  o  O   au  M  H H - Aydavezhuthu

h/k/g   G      c/s   J      T/D   N      t/d   n      p/b  m
y    r   l   v   zh  L   R   n2 n2 - vallinam

Devanagari (Sanskrit) letters
j    z     s    sh    ksh/tc

Category wise - vallinam - h/k/g   c/s    T/D    t/d    p/b   R
                iDaiyinam - G  J  N   n   m   n2
mellinam     - y  r   l  v  zh  L
Sanskrit j   z   s   sh   ksh/tc

Grant Me Alms of True Devotion - bhakti biccamu

In the kRti - `bhakti biccamiyyavE' - rAga zaMkarAbharaNaM,
zrI tyAgarAja asks Lord to grant him alms of (desireless) true
devotion.

P bhakti biccam(i)yyavE bhAvukamagu sAttvIka

A muktik(a)khila zaktiki tri-mUrtulak(a)ti mElmi rAma (bha)

C prANamu lEni vAniki baGgAru pAga cuTTi
ANi vajra bhUSaNam(u)ram(a)ndu beTTu rIti
   jhANalaku purAN(A)gama zAstra vEda japa prasaGga
trANa galgi(y)Emi bhakta tyAgarAja nuta (bha)

P O Lord! Deign to grant me alms of pure or desireless devotion
which is like a fortune.

A O Lord! Deign to grant me alms of pure or desireless devotion
towards rAma which is like a fortune and is much better than
emancipation, all kinds of powers and even the Trinity.

C In the same manner of tying a golden turban to a corpse and
decorating it on the chest with exquisite diamond ornaments, what
is the use if clever persons are bestowed with the capability of
knowledge of  epics, Agama, sciences, vEda, chanting of names and
discourse? O Lord praised by this tyAgarAja! Deign to grant me alms
of pure or desireless devotion towards rAma which is like a
fortune.

Word-by-Word Meaning

P O Lord! Deign to grant (iyyavE) me alms (biccamu)
(biccamiyyavE) of pure or desireless (sAtvIka) devotion (bhakti)
which is like a fortune (bhAvukamagu).

A O Lord! Deign to grant me alms of pure or desireless devotion
towards rAma which is like a fortune and,
which is much (ati) better (mElmi) than emancipation
(muktiki), all kinds (akhila) (muktikakhila) of powers (zaktiki) and
even the Trinity (tri-mUrtulaku) (mUrtulakati).

C In the same manner (rIti) of tying (cuTTi) a golden (baGgAru)
turban (pAga) to a corpse - one (vAniki) who has no (lEni) life-
breath (prANamu) - and decorating (beTTu) (literally place) it on
(andu) the chest (uramu) with exquisite (ANi) diamond (vajra)
ornaments (bhUSaNamu) (bhUSanamuramandu),
what (Emi) is the use if clever persons (jhANalaku) are
bestowed (galgi) (galgiyEmi) with the capability (trANa) (literally
stregnth) of (knowledge) of  epics (purANa), Agama (purANAgama),
sciences (zAstra), vEda, chanting of names (japa) and discourse
(prasaGga)?
O Lord praised (nuta) by this tyAgarAja - Your devotee
(bhakta)! Deign to grant me alms of pure or desireless devotion
towards rAma which is like a fortune.

Notes -
A - mukti - In this regard, please refer to tirumAlai of
vaiSnava saint toNDaraDippoDi AzhvAr in praise of Lord of zrI raGgaM -
 Please visit the sites -
http://www.srivaishnavam.com/texts/tmalai_roman.htm The PDF version
in Tamil may be downloaded from site -
http://www.prapatti.com/slokas/tamil/naalaayiram/tondaradippodiyaazvaa
r/tirumaalai.pdf#search='Tirumaalai'

paccai mAmalai pOl mEn2i* pavaLavAy kamalac ceGgaN*
accutA! amarar ERE!* Ayar tam kozhundE! en2n2um,*
iccuvai tavira yAn2pOy* indira lOgam ALum,*
accuvai peRin2um vENDEn2* araGgamA nagar uLAn2E! (2)

A - akhila zakti - zrI tyAgarAja seems to refer to aNimAdi
eight-fold siddhi.
C - pAga - In the book of Shri C Ramanujachariar and `Adi
Tyagaraja Kirtanams' this word is given. However, in the book of Shri
TK Govinda Rao, this is given as `bAga'. In view of the ensuing
word `cutti', it is clear that this refers to a `turban' (pAga).
However, as per dictionary, the correct word is `pAgA'. As elongation
at the end might involve in change in metre, this needs to be
checked. Any suggestions ???

This Kriti is available as a MS Word or (Acrobat) PDF file in
Devanagari, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada, Assamese, Bengali,
Gujarati, Oriya, Punjabi scripts. The meaning of the Kriti is also
available in Tamil. If anyone is interested to receive the same by e-
maill, please contact me at vgvindan@xxxxxxxx specifying the format
required - MS Word or Acrobat PDF. Fonts for viewing the document in
MS Word may be downloaded free from www.cdac.in . Those who are
having CDAc's iLeap Indian Languages software may, if they so desire,
get that iLeap version of Kritis Indian Languages also from me.
Please indicate accordingly.

Please send in Your comments and suggestions.
May Saint Thyagaraja Bless us all
V Govindan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/XUWolB/TM