You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00174 Jan 2007

Jan 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

http://www.hknet.org.nz/names-WHY-devotional.html

SrI:
SrImathE Ramanujaya namah:
Dearest Srivaishnavas

In last ten, AzhwAr mentioned about naama sangeertthanam¡¦s glories
and how it takes one up in the path leading towards Paramapadham.
Even if you do not wish to utter his divine names, at least name
your children after his names and while calling them, you
(unknowingly) utter his names thereby.- AzhwAr beautifully advises
us here.

In the order of Vedas describing PraLayam (Cosmic dissolution) first
and then the creation (srushti), AzhwAr elaborates death first (in
last ten) and now the birth of children.

kaasumkaRaiyudaikkooRaikkum angOr_kaRRaikkum
aasaiyinaal angavaththappEridum aadhar_kaaL!
kEsavanpErittu neengaLthEniththiruminO
naayakann^aaraNan tham_annain^arakampukaaL.       1.

1.      Desirous of silk cloth, a couple of jewellery, do not name
your children after few jeevathmas (sentient being) and achethanas
(non-sentient beings), living therein. Oh ladies! (sthrees!
MaadhargaaL) Name your children after Kesavan¡¦s name and rejoice
(uttering that sweet name) and get some goodness (irumin) in your
lives (puNyam); The mother of children whose names are after
SarvEshwaran- Sarvashakthan- Narayanan- our master (naayakan)
(naaraayaNan tham annai) ¡V will never ever enter into hell
thereafter.

If we name after our relatives¡¦ names; or the village chief¡¦s name
or some demi god¡¦s, perhaps they get pleased and give as gift some
jewel or a piece if cloth. But even they are temporary- in their
present lives; and it is not their wealth [It if given to them by
the Lord Sriman Narayanan]. Due to the divine name of Narayanan,
(namely Kesavan and others), when uttered, the mothers never enter
hell. This is also applicable to all other names listed in following
pAsurams.

Here maadhargaaL (ladies are addressed) ¡V in next PAsurams, he
calls nangaigaaL- and hence he may address only ladies as ladies are
the ones who take care of home and children more. Or maadhargaaL-
also may mean- ignoramuses. Thus, by naming the children after the
Lord Sriman Narayanan¡¦s names, the mothers become great like
Yasodha and Kausalya.

Here when AzhwAr addresses the Lord¡¦s names, he also means
PiraaTTi¡¦s names, Acharyas¡¦ names. ¡V comments Sri UttamUr Swami.

angorukooRai araikkuduppadhanaasaiyaal
mangiyamaanidasaadhiyin pEridum_aadhar_kaaL!
sengaNedumaal! sireedharaa! enRu_azhaiththakkaal
nangaikaaL! naaraNan tham_annain^arakampukaaL.       2.

2.      Oh ladies- Having a mean desire to get a piece of cloth
around your waist, you name your children after those human beings
(who give you such a small cloth)! Oh ladies- who listen to good
words (hitha vaarthai) when spoken! Foolish ladies! Call your
children as PundareekaakshA! (Red lotus eyed One!) Vishnu!
Sridharaaa! and The mother of children whose names are after
SarvEshwaran- Sarvashakthan- Narayanan- our master (naayakan)
(naaraayaNan tham annai) ¡V will never ever enter into hell
thereafter.

uchchiyil_eNNeyum suttiyumvaLaiyum_ukandhu
echchampolindheer_kaaL! enseyvaanpiRar_pEritteer?
pichchaipukkaakilum empiraan_thirun^aamamE
nachchumin naaraNan tham_annain^arakampukaaL.        3.

3.      Oh mothers! Who are blessed with the wealth of children! Why
do you consider getting that small bangles, the oil for the head or
the forehead gem stone and name after human beings (other than
Narayanan¡¦s names)? Even if you are asked to go begging for a
living, you should only desire for naming your children after our
most merciful, most helpful (Parama upakArakan- ParamOdhAran, Parama
kaaruNikan) Sriman Narayanan¡¦s names alone. (because) the mother of
children whose names are after SarvEshwaran- Sarvashakthan-
Narayanan- our master (naayakan) (naaraayaNan tham annai) ¡V will
never ever enter into hell thereafter.

maanidasaadhiyilthOnRiRRu Ormaanidasaadhiyai
maanidasaadhiyinpErittaal maRumaikkillai
vaanudaimaadhavaa! gOvindhaa! enRu_azhaiththakkaal
naanudain^aaraNan tham_annain^arakampukaaL.          4.

4.      If you name your children after those beings who are born as
humans (who are also samsaaric afflictions like you only- if not
worse), there is no way, you can be blessed with even material
wealth (leave alone Srivaikunatm). If you call your darling children
as ¡§Paramapadha nAthA! Maadhavaa! Sriya: Pathi! Govindhaa! Then the
mother of children whose names are after SarvEshwaran- Sarvashakthan-
 Narayanan- who is the Swami of our AthmAs- who resides in our
AthmAs- our master (naayakan) (naaraayaNan tham annai) ¡V will never
ever enter into hell thereafter. Naan udai naaraNan narakam- pugaaL.

Here naan udai naaraNan- Jeer interest as ¡§My NaaraayaNan¡¨
Thiruvaaymozhi Pillai interprets (considering this as something
special) saying, ¡§The One who has us- the AthmAs- as His house-
sareeram- He- being NaaraayaNan. Jeevathmas are all Naaraas. And He
is the master of us. Why do you leave the master¡¦s name and have
others¡¦ name instead?

AzhwAr considers only himself as naan (I) and glorify His Lord as
per Jeer¡¦s commentary- which is also enjoyable.

malamudaiyooththaiyilthOnRiRRu Ormalavooththaiyai
malamudaiyooththaiyinpErittaal maRumaikkillai
kulamudaikkOvindhaa! gOvindhaa! enRuazhaiththakkaal
nalamudain^aaraNan tham_annain^arakampukaaL.         5.

5.      For the one which is born out of the repository of dirt, and
other wastes, and contain all flesh, blood, bones etc., you name
after the same one who is also ¡§imperfect¡¨ and waste reservoir
like you, there is no way you can redeem yourself for future births.
[Instead], if you call your children as Govindhaa! Then, the mother
of children whose names are after SarvEshwaran- Sarvashakthan-
Narayanan- our master (naayakan) (naaraayaNan tham annai) ¡V will
never ever enter into hell thereafter

naadumn^akarum_aRiya maanidappErittu
koodiyazhungik kuzhiyilveezhndhuvazhukkadhE
saadiRappaayndhathalaivaa! dhaamOdharaa! enRu
naadumin naaraNan_tham_annain^arakampukaaL.          6.

6.      Mixing with the lowly human beings in the village and
suburbs, publicizing to everyone the names of your children after
those lowly human beings and do not fall down.. Instead, desire for
calling them as Dhaamodharaa! The Sakataasura mardhanaa! The one who
destroyed SakatAsurA!) etc. And let the whole world know His glories
thereby. And then the mother of children whose names are after
SarvEshwaran- Sarvashakthan- Narayanan- our master (naayakan)
(naaraayaNan tham annai) ¡V will never ever enter into hell
thereafter.

maNNilpiRandhumaNNaakum maanidappErittu angu
eNNamonRinriyirukkum Ezhaimanisar_kaaL!
kaNNukkiniya karumukilvaNNann^aamamE
naNNumin naaraNan_tham_annain^arakampukaaL.          7.

7.      Naming your children after the beings who are born out of
the earth and go back to the same (from prakrithi back to praktithi)
there is no good that we can get. Oh shameless beings! Who think
that you are fearless after naming such lowly humans! Desire for
naming your children after the divine names of dark rainy cloud like
Emperumaan (who has aprAkrutha divya mangaLa vigraham) and then the
mother of children whose names are after SarvEshwaran- Sarvashakthan-
 Narayanan- our master (naayakan) (naaraayaNan tham annai) ¡V will
never ever enter into hell thereafter.

nambin^ambiyenRu naattumaanidappErittaal
nambumpimbumellaam naalun^aaLil_azhungippOm
semperundhaamaraikkaNNan pErittazhaiththakkaal
nambikaaL! naaraNan tham_annain^arakampukaaL.        8.

8.      Naming your children as nimbi, pimbi etc.., after few lowly
beings (who do not even have any Athma guNas-and calling them as the
one with great Athma guNa ¡V Nambhi and naming our children after
them), with a (false) faith of accomplishing something great. Even
that faith will vanish after sometime (few days- or months or even
years- as you would realize that they too would vanish soon),
Instead, oh most virtuous ones! Name your children after the most
beautiful red lotus eyed Lord, then the mother of children whose
names are after SarvEshwaran- Sarvashakthan- Narayanan- our master
(naayakan) (naaraayaNan tham annai) ¡V will never ever enter into
hell thereafter.

ooththaikkuzhiyil amudhampaayvadhupOl ungaL
mooththirappiLLaiyai enmukilvaNNanpErittu
kOththukkuzhaiththuk kuNaalamaadiththiriminO
naaththakun^aaraNan tham_annain^arakampukaaL.        9.

9.      Like the nectar that passes out of the foul smelling, rotten
sewage pipe, name your children (who is also the repository of a
human body like you- mootthirapiLLai- yOnijar)- who is born of you,
after the divine name of the Lord (so that your children¡¦s name
becomes sacred and pure which purifies you like nectar) and if you
call them in such sweet names, bathe them, dress them and play with
them (calling such a divine name each time), then the mother of
children whose names are after SarvEshwaran- Sarvashakthan-
Narayanan- our master (naayakan) (naaraayaNan tham annai) ¡V will
never ever enter into hell thereafter.

seeraNimaal thirun^aamamEyidaththERRiya
veeraNitholpukazh vittuchiththanviriththa
OraNiyoN_thamizh onbadhOdonRumvallavar
pEraNivaigundhaththu enRumpENiyirupparE. (2)         10.

10.     The most valorous Sri Vishnuchitthar of SrivilliputthUr sang
these ten PAsurams describing elaborately the glories of divine
names of Emperumaan and advises (us) to name our children after His
divine names. Those who learn these nine PAsurams and the tenth
(this one) will be blessed to be at Paramadham forever and ever
blissfully.

Here AzhwAr addresses himself as Veerar (valorous) as he is the one
who unambiguously established the Parathvam of Sriman Narayanan in
the assembly of Paandya king.

[So, name your children beautifully with His names.. and  call them
lovingly with full name and enjoy.. Nowadays, people break the names
to intolerable levels.. Spoiling the very name itself¡K  Srinivasan
name becomes Seenu¡K Or Seemaachu.. Narasimhan becomes Nacchu..
(poison).. Parthasarathy is Paacchaa. Srikaanth is Cheekaa. Lakshmi
is Yecchimi or lacchu. Krishnan is Kittu or Kittaa. To top it all
Ramanujan is Ramaanju¡ K Desikan is Desi.. Alas! This is worse than
nambhi pimpi.. I suppose?º  ]

PeriyAzhwAr ThiruvadigaLe saraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana