You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00180 Jan 2007

Jan 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Seetha lakshmanabharathashatrughna Hanumatsametha Sri Ramachandra parabrahmane namaha.

Dear Friends of  Oppiliappan group,

> I understand that one of the most promising and prominent among those in the
top rung of the new generation of Carnatic musicians, Gayathri Girish, is coming
to the USA in April to perform at the Thyagaraja Aaraadhanaa at Cleveland. She
is a senior disciple of Sri T N Seshagopalan.  One of the CDs she released in 2006 is titled VAISHNAVAM.

> I have listened to her various tapes and CDs including Vaishnavam and have
enjoyed them immensely.  Her sanskrit pronunciation and diction and her ability
to bring out so many BHAAVAS superbly set her apart.  VAISHNAVAM includes  a
special favourite of mine, Bhaavayaami Raghuraamam by Maharaja Swathi Thirunaal,  in Raagamaalika.  Experiencing a variety of complex emotions and enjoying the nuances of the Royal Saahithyam, I was thrilled living thro the complete Raamaayanam many times over in a divine musical ambience.  Listening to her CD with songs on the Lord of the Seven Hills, I vicariously enjoyed my trip to the Thirumalai.  That is the kind of feelings her music evokes.

> When I was last in India in Dec 2006, I attended a sunday evening concert by
Gayathri Girish at the Music Academy which was well acclaimed by the music
critics.  Her brilliant first piece was a navaraagamaalikaa varnam that included
swaras in all the nine constituent raagaas.  The highlight came in the form of
Raagam Thaanam Pallavi in Hemavathi, "Ninne nammithi" and her rendering of it
would have made  the maestro Shri Seshagopalan proud.  Among my favourites of her songs are:  Saraguna Palimpa in Kedara Gowlam, Ambujam Krishna's Odoadi vandhaen Kannaa in Dharmavathi, Daasharathae in Thodi, Nannu Vidachi in Reethi gowlam and of course, Rajaji's evergreen Kurai ondrumillai Govinda.

> Dr Raja Bala of Rochester, NY, told me that they are planning her concert in
Rochester on April 13.  We in Dallas are looking forward to her program on Apr 28.
 I understand she will be available for concerts in the Nort East viz., NY, NJ, MA, PA and Wdcnad GA during the middle of the month in April.  She may be open for concerts in the West and Southwest till mid May.  I thought some of you may be interested to utilize her presence here and arrange Naadhopaasanaa at places like Sri Ranganatha temple, Sri Balaji Temple, Sri Shiva Vishnu temple, etc.  or for concerts in your Music Associations.  If anyone is interested, please write to
globalbusy@xxxxxxxxx
> and we will be delighted to help.

Kind regards,
May Lord Ramachandra bless us all.
S,P, Krishna Murthy

always stay connected to friends. __._,_.___

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list