You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00018 Jan 2008

Jan 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

 Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Dear Bhagavatha's

A yet another new beginning. The last day of 2007 will be the most
memorable day for some of us. We had the pleasure of ending 2007
with the  blessings of  Kanchi Varadar and our two AchAryar's,
EmperumAnAr and Swami  Desikan. I am making a humble attempt here to
share my experience with all.

Around 50 of us along with Dr.U.Ve.M.V. Anantha Padmanabhachariar
swamy(Nrisimha Priya) went to Kanchipuram for *AnushtAna kulam
Uthsavam. We started at around 10 am from chennai. On travel, we had
the privilege of having a quiz by Parthasarathy mama. It was a very
interesting experience to answer in person directly to him than
answering his online quiz, as we cannot do any search or refer any
books then. And  Anantha padmanabhachar Swamy also joined us in the
event. It was a great opportunity to learn many sampradAya vishyam
from them. By the time we ended the quiz we reached Kanchi at about
12. Though we could not reach there on time for thirumanjanam, which
took place in sAla kinar mandapam, we had the pleasure of walking
along with Emperuman and Emperumanar from sAla kinar to Thoopul
Swami Desikan sannidhi.

It was a wonderful sight in Thoopul with Perumal in the centre and
our two acharyas on either side of Him. There were many special
neivEdhyams for the threesome. After the neivEdhyam, BhashyaKArar
and swami Desikan were honoured by  parivattam and garland and
srisatAri of Emperuman. Here we learnt an interesting vishayam from
Anantha Padmanabhachar swamy. BhashyaKArar was honoured with
SrisatAri with three mudras, whereas Swami Desikan was honoured
with 5 mudras.

After parivattam and mAlai mariyAdhai, there was gOshti  viniyogam.
Then, Perumal along with Emperumanar started to His temple and
Swami  Desikan went out to send off his Acharyan and Perumal.

>From there they both went on procession to BhashyaKArar's
thirumAligai. The Adhyayana Goshti joined Perumal  from Thirukacchi
Nambigal's sannidhi. They reached BhashyaKArar's  thirumAligai and
here too a special neivEedhyam was done for Lord Varadar and
Bhashyagarar. After goshti viniyogam, they started for the temple.
By the  time they reached the temple, we all went to Perundevi
thayar's and  ChakrathAzhwar's sannidhi. A while later Perumal
reached the temple and in Andal  sannidhi we had a scintillating
vision of mAlai mAththal(exchange of garland) between Andal and
Perumal. It was time for Perumal and BhashyaKArar to part with each
other. Near Perumal sannidhi, BhashyaKArar was honoured with
parivattam, mAlai mariyadai and srisatAri. Perumal, after giving
piriyA vidai for his beloved  Ramanuja, went to his sannidhi and
Swamy Ramanujar too having spent the whole  day with Perumal left to
his sannidhi. In Swamy Ramanujar's  sannidhi, he  was in the centre
with Azhwars on one side and Acharyas on other side. It was a treat
to our eyes. Swamy Ramanujar mulavar gives us his blessings with his
gyana mudhra, whereas in other temples he is usually seen with
anjali mudra. Swamy Anantha padmanabhachar in his Ramanuja pAavai
upanyasam gave us an interesting explanation about Swamy Ramanujar's
gyana mudra. The gyana mudra he poses is such that he plucks the
darkness and sins from our hearts. Everyone, if you get a chance,
should visit Swamy's Sannidhi to have the blessing of all the
Azhwars and acharyas together. We all with heavy hearts, gave piriyA
vidai to them and started to chennai.

Also I would like to share a write up by Anantha Padmanabhachar
Swamy out of his imagination, few years back about the anushtAnakula
utsavam. It's about the conversation between Lord Varadar, Swamy
Ramanuja and Swamy Desikan and is given the title Simhangalin
Sallabham.Don't miss it. please read it from the file section of the
groups, i have included a file "simhangalin sallabham.pdf".
He has also rendered an upanyasam on Sri Ramanuja vaibhavam, which
is available as MP3 CD. For the cd's, please contact

Saran Darshan
"Sri Ahobilam"
16,Devanathan Colony, West Mambalam, Chennai 600033
Cell : 0-9381037792, 0-9384037724, 0-9444971557

* Anushtanakula Utsavam, every year is celebrated on the day next to
eyarba sAthumurai day. This uthsavam represents a very important day
in Swami Ramanujar's life. Swami Ramanujar in his pOvAshrama was
under the tutelage of his Acharyan Yadavaprakasar. YP was jealous of
Swamy's profound knowledge and decided to kill Swamy. Hence he took
few of his sishyas along with Ramanujar for a pilgrimage tour to
North India. Swamy's brother Govindha Bhattar, who came to know
about their guru's plan, informed Swamy about it and told him to
leave their group immediately. Ramanuja, who was at his young age,
didn't know how to go or where to go. He started to walk for a while
and since it was dark he was scared. He called out but only his echo
answered him. Suddenly a while later a couple appeared before him
and asked him why he was alone in the forest. He told them that he
was lost and couldn't find his way back  to his village, but never
told them about what actually happened. The hunting couples took
swamy and the threesome walked through the forest. When  dawn broke,
the lady hunter was tired and asked Ramanuja to bring her some
water. He had a small vessel with him for performing anushtAnams, he
took  it and found a small well nearby. He brought water for her but
found them missing. He called for them, but they did not come back.
Ramanuja was  upset and resumed his journey to find out where he has
come. When the sun rose brightly, he could see the temple vimanam
and learnt that that was his own village, Kanchipuram.
When swamy wanted to do kainkaryam for perumal and piratti, he asked
Thirukacchi Nambigal to ask them(perumal and piratti) for a
kainkaryam. It was then Piratti asked Ramanujar to bring water from
salai kinaru everyday for her. On hearing this kainkaryam Ramanuja
realised that the hunter couples were none other than Perumal and
Piratti and he was overcome with emotion to learn  Lord's souseelyam
and soulabhyam, to have come for his rescue. So, anushtAnakula
uthsavam is the day when Swamy Ramanuja escaped the jaws of death
which was set by  Yadhavaprakasar and was rescued by the veduva
thampathi(Lord Varadar and Piratti).
So, on this occasion, let us pray the Divya Thampathis to rescue us
from the clutches of samsAra and mAyA.

Adiyen,
Padma Sowrirajan

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan