You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00045 Jan 2008

Jan 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We saw how gold came into existence or being. And we also saw its superiority as a gift. But 'how it got distributed in various parts of the world?' Just recollect that question in general knowledge, and associated question rose 'is there any reference in puraaNams'.

We also saw an interesting story of a lady dancer, which led to following questions –[those were raised in post 2]. The questions were --

  1. Who is that beautiful dancer?
  2. Who were the two warring groups?
  3. For what they were carrying out the war?
  4. Is it to obtain or possess that dancer lady?
  5. Then what happened?
  6. Who is that person in yOga nishtai who suddenly became kaama rahitha?
  7. Who is the wife of that kaama rahitha?
  8. Then what happened to this kaama rahitha?
  9. Could he get that dancer lady
  10. Or was he left in lurch as usual by that dancer lady?
  11. How this is connected with gold and silver and such precious metals availability on which the topic started and took a quixotic turn?

Now we will see the answers for these questions.

That story we saw in post 1 is the famous "amrutha mathanam" in sreemadh bhaagavatham.

  1. Who is that beautiful dancer?

Ans: The dancing lady is sreeman naaraayaNan, in and as 'mohini'

  1. Who were the two warring groups?

Ans: The two warring groups were the favoured dhEvaas and deceived asuraas by that mohini, the dancer while distributing the amrutham.

  1. For what they were carrying out the war?

Ans: they were fighting to get a share of the celestial nectar, which came out of the 'amrutha mathanam' done jointly by both of them in that 'ksheera abdhi – paarkadal' – milky ocean.

  1. Is the fight to obtain or possess that dancer lady?

Ans: No, not straight away, but when the asuraas saw her dance, each had a desire to possess her.

  1. Then what happened?

Ans: each of the asuraas not only lost the amrutham but also lost possession of that dancer lady.

  1. Who is that person in yOga nishtai who suddenly became kaama rahitha?

Ans: Lord siva is the person who always remaining yoga nishtai – doing raama naama japam. He is the person suddenly became kaama rahitha.

  1. Who is the wife of that kaama rahitha?

Ans: paarvathi – himavaan's daughter is the wife of siva – she was by his side always.

  1. Then what happened to this kaama rahitha?

Ans: he went after that dancer lady – mohini- she was moving here and there.

  1. Could he get that dancer lady?

Ans: he could not get her.

  1. or was he left in lurch as usual by that dancer lady?

Ans: yes to some extent.

  1. How this is connected with gold and silver and such precious metals availability on which the topic started and took a quixotic turn?

Ans: when siva went after that lady at one stage, due to the kaama of siva, and maaya of that mohini of luring siva into kaama- lust, siva dropped his bindhu,

        like the earlier instance when he dropped his bhindhu, it became the cause for creation of gold

        this time since the lady mohini was running hither and tither, siva was chasing her all over,

        so in all places where all he dropped his bhindhu, those places became the great grand mines - the storage places where these precious metals – gold and silver are available for us.

Dear sirs and madams, it is not my imagination – all are as stated in chapter 12, 8th skandham, sreemadh bhaagavatham [of sukha brahma rishi].

Now, dear readers, you got it - why these questions and answers.

Of course the intention of me taking up this topic is to bring out another aspect also besides the puraanic evidence in creation of gold and its places of distribution. That is to highlight a comparison between Siva and krishNa in 'yogic' prowess.

See how Siva, a person who is always in 'yoga nishta' loses his self-control and goes in for sambhOgam when he sees a beautiful lady

        let it be paarvathi – his own wife

        or mohini, the other lady.

        [the end result is good for we, people, - but that is a different aspect]

See on the other side- a contrast – krishNa who is always surrounded by ladies, either they come to him or he goes to them -

a. let it be the 'raasa leela' scene in his 'baalyam' – young days

        when Krishna did raasa leelaa he was 8 years old

        when he left for mathura he was 11 years old as per bhaagavatham.

b. Or Later he married 16008 ladies and produced 10 sons and daughters with each wife. ['ten each' is as stated in bhaagavatham] - still HE IS A BRAHMACHARI and YOGESWARA.

Just recall that famous slokam of sanjaya in bhagavadh geethaa

yathra yOgEswara krishNO yathra paarthO dhhanurdhhara |

thathra sreer vijayO bhioothir dhruvaa neethir mathir mama ||

krishNa is the YOGESWARA – lord of the yOga.

Hey folks, don't suddenly jump to the conclusion I am trying to insult siva, NO sirs, NOT AT ALL, I am just giving a comparison. [Again there is a specific slokam said by Krishna himself on siva about his yogic powers].

By that 'leelaas' - exhibition of 'kaama' – that play of siva, we, today in this world have those precious metals. Otherwise, perhaps, we, men folk and our ladies, in particular have to go without those glitterati named gold, articles produced out of it.

In next post we will see how the bhaagavatha puraaNam explains this distribution of gold.

Dhasan

Vasudevan MG

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan
http://www.sadagopan.org