You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00054 Jan 2008

Jan 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika Mahadesikaya nama:
Dearest all,

Praising Him thus once - AzhwAr feels good and
expresses his mahAviswAsam herein.

Aviyai yarangka mAlai
 azhukkuram pessil vAyAl,
thUymaiyil thoNta NnEnn^An
 sollinEn thollai nAmam,
pAviyEn pizhaththa vARen
 RancinER kanca lenRu
kAvipOl vaNNar van^then
 kaNNuLE thOnRinArE            12

aaviyai- The in-dweller and life of everything and
everyone;
arangam maalai ? On the Lord who is showing Himself so
gracefully for blessing the greatest Bhagawathas only;
thooymaiyil ? with not an iota of purety
thoNdanEn naan- I, this haughty proud
egotist(ahankaari) attempt to serve You
azhukku udambu ? with this filthy dirty body
yecchil vaayaal- with the unclean mouth,  in spite of
rinsing,
thollai naamam sollinEn- the most divine and beautiful
divine name of NARAYANA naamam was uttered;
paaviyEn- This lowliest sinner
pizhaittha aaRu- can one even commit such apacharams
like this?
enRu anjiERku- thus ? I had feared and apprehended
kaavipoal- like the cool charming fragrant flower,
vaNNar- colourd and natured Lord
vandhu ? came close to me;
anjal enRu- don?t fear or worry- showed His abhaya
hastham
en kaNNuLE thOnRinaar- He appeared in that abhaya
hastha mudrA ? and entered into my eyes;

With this filthy body, foul smelling mouth, if I utter
His name, praise Him and spoil His greatness, He, who
is the life and soul of the whole Universe would
thereby be affected and the whole universe also may
get spoiled. He came into this most beautiful Divya
Desam Srirangam in order to bless these greatest
bhAgawathas and even that may get affected hence.
Without even thinking of all these dire consequences,
I uttered His divine name with all such impurities in
me and with least qualifications. This is on top of
all those paapams that I had committed earlier. This
is the highest of pappams. I was so scared and had
such a great fear and apprehension as to how one can
commit such intolerable apacharams. In spite of all
these, my most beautiful and divine Lord who is like
dark blue coloured kuvaLai flower, appeared in front
of me, came close to me, and entered into my eyes,
showing His abhaya mudrA, ?do not fear?. Then only I
was relieved that what I did was not an offence and
even if it is, He has forgiven; I am saved.

[Sri Satakopan Swami adds: This is a grand verse or a
verse with ennobling thoughts. His humility /
Helplessness  (Kaarpanyam ) blossoms into the next
stage of Saranagathi, Viz., Mahaviswaasam . He says:
Me, the Egotist, who is not pure of thought with my
unclean body and mouth recited HIS ancient and Sacred
Mahamantram. I was afraid of having engaged in
reciting His Mantram in my unclean, unfit state. To my
utter surprise, the most merciful Lord appeared before
me and told me not to be afraid. I was overcome by
this experience and closed my eyes out of fear. Lo and
Behold!

He entered into my closed eyelids and appeared before
my eyes there. Here, he points out that the Lord is
resident at Srirangam to give hope to people that they
do not need to worry about their state of perfection
and that he will bless them and come to their side,
when they make even a meager effort.

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana