You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00268 Jan 2008

Jan 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Come February, all media, let it be newspaper, TV, radio, or internet advertisements or others, all hype themselves on 'love', focus on 'love stories'. And they concentrate on the world's 'most important' day - that 'valentine's day' [in its derogatory sense I add it here]

But they all forget that India is the country which first advocated "love", and that too not

It is the first lady of the world who did that love act – because she is the wife of the first person of this world, the purushah, the puraaNah, the supreme lord or supreme ruler of the world, she becomes first lady – not by being the first women in the order of creation.

"kEttadhanaal vandha kaadhal ?" – yes.

Is it that she heard about the 'beauty personification' of the male person so as to fall in love?

NO sirs and madams,

It is all about the 'characteristics' of the person - 'guNam' or in plural 'guNaah'.

It is rukmiNi piraatti – who did that "kEttadhanaal vandha kaadhal" - 'heard about the guNaan and fallen in love'- towards her lord – the supreme lord KRISHNA.

In that first LOVE LETTER of the world, she starts straight away that letter "sruthvaa guNaan bhuvana sundharaa" – hey first I heard about your characteristics only, but I also guess you are beauty personified – so I address you as "bhuvana sundharaa".

We have such a treasure of a "love letter" but without giving its due importance we go to some others from a different land - and that too the treasure of 'heard and fallen in love' type – which is something very special.

Again we have another form of 'love' – where there is no question of any 'varambu meeRal' – no 'crossing of boundaries' in that love. Learning about a person from one's own respectable and dear 'father' and falling in love on that person.

You may ask why no 'varambu meeRal' – is it permitted to fall in love with a person and then ask the father to give to him in marriage – is it not a crossing of boundaries? The answer is NO – because the father only initiated or was instrumental in creation of that love.

After falling in love, she was dreaming about marriage with that beloved. After enjoying the marriage in that dream, if she kept quiet within herself about her dream, perhaps we may not have come to know of her love at all. But then she poured out the dream of marriage sequence as a 'classic poem' – I mean the "vaaraNam aayiram" verses – so everybody came to know of her love - even after so many years we concentrate on her love story and we enjoy that and recite that 'love story poem' in our 'arranged marriages'.

When we have such divine love treasures why we have to go 'crazy' on some other, from an alien land, and have connected hype at least for 15 or 20 before the D day on Feb.14.

So let us have a 'wave' of the 'love letter' – the 'rukmiNi prEma tharangam' – by sree naaraayaNa theertha – who was a saint immersed in love of krishNa.

        hey a saint writing on a love affair?

        yes on the love affair of rukmiNi and krishNa – our supreme lord and his consort.

Yes – when others can have st. valentine - why not we in naarayana theertha?

In his krishNa leelaa tharangiNi the saint has given the love story of krishNa's marriage with rukmiNi.

tharangam 12 or 'wave' 12 [or in simple terms chapter 12] there are 15 krithis – with 'gadhyam' and 'padhyam' interspersed [apart from the krithis]

-         describing the love of rukmiNi, and how krishNa came in chariot and took away rukmiNi

-         that grand coming – vaaraNam aayiram soozha naaraNan nambi nadakkinRaan of aaNdaaL

-         no, no 1000 elephants business – not even one for that matter- krishNa came alone in chariot

-         not walking that too - but came in chariot

-         for there had to be a swift action before that lady love is given away in marriage to somebody elsefor it is already decided that she will be given to so and so.

[As said in seethaa kalyaaNam article 'nadandhu vandhu kalyaaNam paNNik koNdavan raaman thaan - not krishNa].

So this 12th wave is 'a wave of love' and 'wave of fruition of love' into marriage or 'fulfillment of love' by actions by the lover.

Let us see the details in next post.

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

--