You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2009

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00058 Jan 2009

Jan 2009 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Todayâs verse is the 20th verse. Let us continue to enjoy the wonderful
commentary of His Holiness Srimath Paravakkottai Andavan of Sri Poundarikapuram
Swami ashramam, Srirangam â translated into English by Sri CG Balaji Swami.

aNGkaN maaNYaalaththu aracar * apimaana
paNGkamaay van^thu nin paLLik kattiR kIzhE *
caNGkam iruppaar pOl van^thu thalaippeythOm *
kiNGkiNi vaayc ceytha thaamaraip pUp pOlE *
ceNGkaN ciRuc ciRithE emmEl vizhiyaavO *
thiNGkaLum aathiththiyanum ezhun^thaaR pOl *
aNGkaN iraNtum koNtu eNGkaL mEl nOkkuthiyEl *
eNGkaL mEl caapam izhin^thu ElOr empaavaay.     22.

In the previous verse, Andal having spoken of the denial of
self-pride and ownership, reinstates in this pasuram with clarity
that the entire ensemble of Gopis are sub-servients to Kannan
alone and none else.

aNGkaN maaNYaalaththu arasar
abhiimaana baNGkamaay vandhu nin paLLik kattiR keezhE
sanGkam iruppaar pOl vandhu thalaippeythOm â âIn this vast
universe, a few picturesque realms were captured by men thinking
high of themselves to be the paramounts on land. In the course of
time, having lost all their possessions, they soon parted with their
pride and lustre. The once kings who, came with a feeling of
âsohamâ now came to you in a state of solitude and with utter
humility and subserviency reflecting the feeling of âdaasohamâ. They
attained a mature state of mind by which they refused to accept the
royal throne if bestowed again. They came and found their final
place of refuge beneath your reclining couch of Adishesha. We,
similarly, after having unshackled all our faculties from their
worldly leanings, have assembled here at the foot of your reclining
couch to surrender them unto your service and to be in your
servitude. The nobles surrendered unto you after having found no
other means. We on the other hand have surrendered unto your
lotus feet after having been drowned in the flood of your inherent
auspicious attributes, similar to Lakshmana, who set out to the
forest accompanying Sri Rama, having been overwhelmed by his
divine auspicious attributesâ.

To this Kannan asks, âAlright now, what do you seek of me?â
kiNkiNivaay seydha thaamarai poo pole senkaNN siRiSiRidhE emmEl vizhiyaavO?
â You should grace us with your divine glances.

Your eyes resemble a lotus bud now. During the sunrise, the lotus
buds bloom slowly. Initially, it would bloom a little and would
resemble a pearl. In a similar way, you should open your eyes
slowly. Only then would we be able to experience the vision of your
exquisite beauty. Your lotus like eyes would blossom once they see
the torments that we are going through. It would definitely bloom
seeing the ensemble of devotees waiting. The fields of crop that has
seen enough draught, at a time need to be irrigated in measured
quantities only, taking measures to see that they are not flooded.
Similarly, to us who have broken down completely having been
bitten by the fangs of your separation, your merciful glances filled
with the waters of your grace need to be allowed in slowly. You
should see us first when you wake up. That would delight us just
as how it would delight the crops that have been showered with
munificent rain after a rough draught.

thingaLum Adhityanum yezhundhaaRpOl angaN iraNdum koNdu yengaL mEl
nOkkudhiyElâ One of your eyes is like the blazing Sun, that does not allow
the vicious and the vile to near you, and would turn them down to ashes. The
other eye is like the cool moon, showering its cool glances of mercy and
bringing delight into
everyoneâs hearts. Pray see us with both these eyes of yours.

engaL mEl Saapam izhindhu â Your glances of grace on us, who have been
craving for it, would reduce the torments on account of having been bitten by
the fangs of your separation. Just the mere
glances of the accomplished, who own the powers of mantrasiddhi
is said to be sufficient to free one from the effect of poison.
Similarly, we pray unto you, to cast your glances on us and to free
us from the iniquitous influences that impede us from attaining the
bliss of beatitude. You should free us of our torments and should
bring delight to us similar to Nrusimhan, who, with one eye,
showered rage and fury on Hiranyakashipu while with the other
showered munificent and compassionate anugrahams on Prahlada.
Though a lion always battles the elephant, it still feeds its calf with
utmost affection. Similar should be your anugrahams towards us.
A disciple due to the benevolence of his preceptor showered on
him realises that the body is essentially different and distinct from
the soul and prays unto the lotus feet of the Lord to grant him the
eternal bliss of beatitude.

Andal ThiruvaDigaLE  SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana