You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2009

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00126 Jan 2009

Jan 2009 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear All :

This type of question keeps coming up .I have answered earlier queries already privately .

Here is an authentic input from hihly regarded traditional Bruhaspathy , Sriman NVS Swamy of Mylapore/Chennai , who is very knowledgable on all Vaidheekam matters . He is the Moderator of Vaideekam Yahoo group .

Please become a Member of this immensely valuable group for all Vaideekam related questions .

 Sriman NVS Samy's  remarks address the Indian context .

I would like to stay away from PanchAngamrelated determinations ., GrahaNam , Pongal Paanai timings  etc since these intrepretations vary a lot based on local Sunrises . It takes a lot of time and effort todetermine these things inview of multiple intrepretations ( eg.,) One TarpaNam or two tarpaNams , if AmAvasyai and GrahaNam happens on the same day during this Month of January .

Please aks the local Bruhaspathys or Temple priests and observe as per local custom outside India .

Seattle based Pundit  Sri Magesh Sastry ( expert on PanchAngam construction based on dhrug approach) has covered festivals and Vratam timings for many cities across the globe . I have referred to that URL earlier . If you are using Vaakya Panchangam , it will differ from Dhrug somewhat . Please use ParanthAman Panchaangam in India  (http://www.ahobilam.com)  created by Sriman Vaasu VaadhyAr Swami or Sri Ahobila Matam USA PanchAngam in USA for East Coast ( http://www.ahobilam.org ) . Another source would be the KadavuL PanchAngam from Hawaii for global computations on PanchAngam .

I am falling behind on my ebook Kaimkaryam and hence would like to be spared PanchAngam related questions .

Happy Pongal Season to all of You !

NamO SrI NrisimhAya ,

V.Sadagopan

***********************************

 Question to the Owner of Vaideekam Group :

" Swami

When is the Thai Masapirappu and when one shall do tharpanam. Also
kindly let the group know about the Good Time for Keeping Pongal paanai

Adiyen ramanujadasan "

***

Sriman NVS SWamy's response:

" Makara Ravi (Masa pirappu) 8.36 am.
9.30 am to 10.30 am is the best time for 'Pongal Paanai'..

Regarding Soorya Grahanam And Amavasai Tharpanam:

I wish to share the following conversation with my Vaideeka Guru (he is about 80 years) :

Adiyen:
"Swamin Adiyen Vasan,
26/01/2009 Soorya grahanam madhyahnam varadhunaala Amvasai tarpanam pannapdaathu, Grahana tarpanam mattumdhaan pannanumnu solraale ....?"

Swamin:
"Avaa sonna ketkaa maatta; nammorle (Tanjore Dt) reNdu tarpanamum panradhudaan anushtaanam; pirathiyarukku grahaNa tarpanam pannivainko;
sondhadhukku reNdaiyum anushtingo"

He said:
People will not respect our words; Performing both tarpaNam is our area (Tanjore Dt.) anushtaanam.
Tell people to do GrahaNa tarpanam and you do both.

regards,
nvs "

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan
http://www.sadagopan.org