You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00070 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI :

Dear respected List Memebrs :

Our lists contain memberships from SrIman NaarAyaNa
BhakthAs and others , whose ishta dhaivams are different
(anya devathAs). Many worship SrIman NaarAyaNan
as well as other DevathAs at the same time and feel
comfortable . Others worship Sriman NaarAyaNa
exclusively following their AchAryan's guidance and
UpadEsams . Our intent as moderators is not to offend
anyone and seek to learn from each other , when subjects
like anya devathA worships come up for discussions . We will
stay frim on core principles of VaishNavism in these discussions.
There are times , when there is more heat than light from
prolonging discussions . The appropriate thing to do is to
close the discussions and let private exchanges go off line.
My  respected colleague , SrI Anbil Swamy exercises this rite very well .

Here are some additional comments , while we are on this
subject ..

From time to time , we come across topics , which have been
amply discussed before . One such topic is about anya devathA
worship for a VaishNavan , who has performed  SaranAgathi .
Not every one has been blessed to perform SaraNAgathy or Prapatthi or
BharanyAsam or Aathma NivEdhanam , which is surrendering
one's soul at the sacred feet of the owner , SrIman NaarAyaNan .
That is a sacred act and commitment to follow some ancient rules
established by VedAs , Upanishads and VaishNavite AchAryAs of illustrious
paramparai .

For those , who have performed Saranagathy , their devotion to SrIman
NaarAyaNa is total and is of the nature of avyapachArika Bhakthi
or chaste Bhakthi that a wife would display to a wedded husband
at all times . She will never even look in the direction of another man .
That is pathivrathA dharamam . Same for VaishNavAs , who
have performed Prapatthi through the grace of an AchAryan
and got married to the Lord . Trying to convince them to take
another route is a waste of time . These blessed souls are
respected as ParamaikAnthis and are aadarsa purushAs
(Some One to look up to as role models for a true VaishNavan).

They  will not be distracted by any other temptations of desired
gains since their mind is made up to gain the parama purushArTam
of Moksham or liberation from the cycles of births and
deaths and eternally  serve SrI VaikuntanAthan at His
Supreme abode after this earthly life is over . Their conviction
based on upadesams for their AchAryans is that SrIman
NaarAyaNan alone can grant the supreme goal of Moksha Sukham .
There is little to debate here for one who has performed Prapatthi
with the help of a compassionate VaishNavite AchAryan .

Not worshipping other gods or seeking anything from them
does not mean gestures of insult towards them or their devotees.
This should be clearly understood so that there are no endless
debates on this subject , which can get acrymonious and pompous .

The motto should be Live and let Live . Follow One's AchAryan's
directions and be true to your faith and committments . SrI Bhagavath
GithA is the best source for understanding this SaraNAgathy dharmam
taught by the compassionate Lord Himself for the benefit of all of us.

At  your service ,
Daasan , V.Sadagopan
Moderator of Oppilappan and Saranagaty List
http://www.malolan.org
http://www.sadagopan.org

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here