You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00074 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear SrI Ashwin Trikamjee:

The subject is a vast one . The subject may not be
of great interest to many and even unpleasant for a few
to reflect on . I congratulate you on your desire to want to know
about this important subject .

Hindus have developed a wonderful way of dealing
with mortality and thereafter and have removed the fear of
the dissolution of the physical body after it has been trained
to serve the Lord and His devotees during life  .This follows
the ancient Vedic path .

HIndu dharma sAsthrAs have apara prayOgams to
honor the one who has left this world to join the Lord
in the other world or to enter into other lives based on
one's accumulated karmAs . The ceremonies that we do as
realtives left behind are to honor the departed soul
( First 13 days , whole year and annual SrArddham ,
TarpaNams/offerings  et al ) although that soul has left
on its journeys based on its karmAs .

Each culture has developed elaborate rituals and
practises for an occasion like shedding one's
mortal coils . Comparitive literature is available.
The Celtic , Chinese , Ancient Roman , Greek , Egyptian ,
the Aztecs , the Budhdists , the Muslims , Chriatians ,
Maayans had their own rites and rituals on handling death.

Hindus had an elaborate way in designing sacraments after
death following Gruhya SoothrAs as a part of the 40
SamskAras prscribed from conception in the Mother's
womb to death . " The Life after Life " is a vast subject too .

There are 10 steps that are significant in the context of
death Rituals ( apara Kaaryams ). You may take a look at
this URL:

http://mailerindia.com/hindu/veda

In depth , there are coverages at the source level :

1) Grihya Sutras , The sacred Books of the East series ,
Motilal Banarsidas Publishers , Bungalow Road ,
Jawahar Nagar ,  New Delhi 7

2) Hindu SamskArAs : Dr.Raj Bali Pandy , Same Publisher.

3) Funeral and other screments after death , Jnana PrabhOdhini,
510 Sadashiv Petha , Pune  411 033 , India .

Hope this helps you ,

V.Sadagopan