You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00171 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest Srivaishnavas,

Thus praising the Lord, Thirumazhisai AzhwAr has sung
108 verses and sings about His kalyANa guNAs and
glories elaborately; AzhwAr also teaches tattva, hitha
purushaarttham (entities, the way and the Goal)
to others (like us- who are caught in samsaaric
affliction running amuck after material and worldly
pursuits) and then sought His protection for himself
by performing Saranagathi at His feet expressing his
utter helplessness (akinchanyathvam) and having no
other refuge for him except the Lord ananyagathithvam)
as there is actually NONE for anybody to grant
mOksham. Sriman Narayanan ALONE is
mOksha pradhan (granter of salvation).

[At this stage, he begins to conclude his Prabhandham
and seeks pardon from the Lord for deficencies in the
celebration of the Lord's anantha kalyANa guNams
through his Prabhandham (Paasurams 110, 111). From the
112 to 115th paasuram, AzhwAr comforts his  mind that
the Moksha Siddhi is very near to attain and asks his
mind not to be concerned about that boon anymore. He
assures his mind that there will be no more suffering
in samsAram through repeated cycles of birth (nacha
punar aavarthathE - never to return back to this world
- aspect of Brahma Soothram]

Now  AzhwAr attempts to close out the prabandham by
requesting the Lord seeking his forgiveness for his
apachArams (trespasses) while singing; consoles and
encourages his (AzhwAr's) mind that they (he and the
mind) are on right track and have no fear anymore as
they have already surrendered to His lotus feet and
there is no cause for concern antymore. AzhwAr also
expresses his pride in having come so far and
accomplished (with His grace and Blessings). AzhwAr
thus declares ending of this sthOthra (praise).

surukkuvaarai yinRiyEsu
  runkinaaysu runkiyum,
perukkuvaarai yinRiyEpe
  rukkameythu peRRiyOy,
serukkuvaar_kaL theekkuNankaL
  theerththathEva thEvanenRu,
irukkuvaaymu NnikkaNanka
  LEththayaanu mEththinEn.    (109)

Withiut any external cause or influence, You could
scale down Yourself to small Brahmin bachelor Dwarf
Boy as Vaamanan! Even if taken smallest form, You
could expand into Huge form! Such Greatest Lord!
The Lord of all! Devaadhi dEvA! Thus the sages (who
recite four Vedas always) praise You; and I ? the
lowliest one too have praised as well.

The jeevAthmAs get smaller bigger bodies (meaning
different janmaas) due to their past karmas. It is not
at all possible for those jeevans to take bigger form
or smaller form immediately and rapidly; they are
not capable of that. Just by mere will and thought,
only the Lord Sriman Narayanan can take the smallest
form and expand into huge form (Varaaha avathAram) OR
reduce to the small form of Vaamana avathAram and
perform His sport (leelA) towards SukrAchAriar and
MahAbhali and fulfilled the dreams and prayers of
Devas. He is thus the chief and Lord of Devas-
NithyasUris and all- The Sages who know inside out of
all Vedas- knowing the unambiguous Truth declared in
Vedas- praise the Lord as given above. When such great
jnAnis- sages have praised, that is fine. But this
lowliest one- I too have praised You singing 108
verses on Your glories. Where are they? Where am I?
But You are Sarva saman- considering everyone equal.
SamOham sarva bhUthEshu? Hence, there is no reduced
affection and vaathsalyam from You on me than on
the sages? How do I know that? By Your blessing me
with this singing of 108 verses. In fact, You have
blessed me even more than them. Why? Because unlike
them, I do not have any desire for any other fruits
(they do for some cause- even bhakti yoga); while, I
do praise You only for the sake of praising You alone
and for Your pleasure only. Ananya prayOjana
kaimkaryam of singing. Swayam prayOjanam.

Also it may be interpreted that those Sages Praised
You reciting the Vedas; while I too have praised You
reciting Tamil Vedas (Dhivya prabandhams).

Thirumazhisai Piraan ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana
dAsan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM