You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00233 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear SrImathi Maya Iyengar:

Please do not be hurt over the exchanges relating to
your mail on your impassioned plea for using the tools
of science in an effort to comprehend the intricacies of
ArchA Moorthy ( Consecrated Forms , where the Lord
resides for accepting our AarAdhanam).

I am  a scientist  by training and have a Doctor's degree
from the top most Scientific& Engineering University ,
Massachusetts Institue Of Technology (MIT) . Many
Members of the list are Medical Doctors and Technical
Professionals . All of us have high regard to Science
and its tools to open up  new frontiers for saving lives
and reduce suffering and to travel to far off planets and
their  Moons  .

Many of us , call ourselves rationalists or traditonalists do
not believe Science as a tool can be of much help
in spiritual matters. Faith takes over , where Science
is unable to help . There is no irreconceilable conflict
between science and Religion (Knowledge and belief ).
They are not irreconceilable antagonists as stated by
Einstein . He says further: " A religious person is devout in
the sense that he or she has no doubt about the significance
and loftiness of specific super-personal objects and goals ,
which neither require nor are capable of rational foundation "
( in a scientific sense) .

The devout are steeped in Mahaa Viswasam about the Lord's
rakshakathvam and are like children crossing a road holding
firmly the hands of its Father . They have implicit and total faith
in the protective capability of the Lord(Father)  and are not looking for
a rational explanation to convince themselves as to why and how
the Lord is their protector (Rakshakan ). After many births ,
they hold on to the Lord's sacred feet and recognize that
they have no recourse except the Lord and the Lord does
not dare to shake the firm grip of the devout . These feeling
states are beyond analysis by scientific methods or tools.
That is the way it is !

This is not to say that the role of Science in Vedic way of
life is minimal or nonexistent . The VedAs and Upanishads
accept and celebrate the Lord as the source of all knowledge.
Inspired by the Vedic Texts , the Rishis of Vedic age " developed
their positive sciences and made the world worth while to live in
with comforts and purposefulness". The rotations and revolutions
of earth , planets and Sun (astronomy ) were developed
by the likes of Aryabhatta et al. The concept of Zero( Kham),
the reciprocal of Infinity and Mathematical Infinity were developed
form here ." Besides Mathematical infinity , God Himself was
recognized as the Infinite Unity ".

The Science of Vedic geometry arose from Vedic Rishis .  There are
references to all kinds of mechanical systems in VedAs (Mechanical
Engineering) . The healing powers of herbs against specific
diseases ( the science of Pharmacology ) has been recorded
in Atharva Vedam in great detail. The dangers of Tuberclosis
and its cure has been covered in several hymns of Atarva Vedam .
The world of herbs (Botany ) and animals ( Zoology) are covered
again in VedAs . One can go on and on about physical sciences .
But the Vedic rishis had some thing beyond the physical sciences
and developed AdhyAthmika Saasthrams dealing with the metaphysical
tatthvams of the indissoluble  kinship between the Lord of the Universe
and the Jeevans , which are both co-eternal.

Science ravels along and soon is confounded by its own
limits . We travel with science and come to the stage , where
we seek more answers and insights that Science can not give.
Our sights are lifted  , our hearts are thrilled and we bask under
the warmth of the  wisdom of the Rg Vedic manthram ( X. 121.5):

" By Him , the heavens are strong and the earth is steadfast ;
by HIm light's realm and sky-vault are supported ; By Him the regions
in the mid-air are measured . To that Lord alone , May we offer
our adoration " . The concept of ananya gathithvam , Aakinchnyam ,
SaraNAgathy arose from such insights .

If the physical Scientists are blessed to have the initiation into the AdhyAthmic
Science under the tutelage of a SadAchAryan , they are doubly gifted indeed .
One does not need however to be trained in Scientific disciplines
to derive the full benefit of AdhyAthmic Science .

Just Some Thoughts in passing  !

NamO NaarAyaNAya ,
V.Sadagopan