You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00255 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

When Bhattar and his brother turned seven years of
age, Kooratthazhvan performed upanayanam for them
and took them to a pAtashAla to learn the Vedas.

On the second day, when the teacher asked the
students to recite the same verses that he had
taught them on the first day, Bhattar left the
class and started playing outside.

Seeing that, Azhvan came to him and asked "O lad!
Why are you alone playing outside while all other
children are learning inside?"

Bhattar replied "They are reciting again what we
learned yesterday. Therefore, I left the class".

Azhvan said "In that case, repeat to me what you
learned yesterday".

Bhattar then recited the verses he learnt the day
before, without missing a word or a letter and with
the right intonations.

Seeing that Azhvan decided that it was not
appropriate to have the young Bhattar learn
anywhere else and started teaching the Vedas to
Bhattar himself.

Azhvar Emberumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Sharanam

A Day in the Life of Our Acharyas:
http://www.acharya.org/articles/aditlooa/index.html

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM