You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00113 Jul 2007

Jul 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SRI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika Mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest All,

AzhwAr expresses in this 5th decad his ananyagatitvam
and (having none other as his refuge) Akinchanyam
(helplessness) which are closely tied to Saranagati.

MahaviswAsam- a deep subject that needs to be
understood in clear manner by each one of us. Even a
sincere believer in Almighty Lord Sriman Narayanan (in
laymen?s terms, a God fearing person) is likely to
develop a five fold doubt that would his leg from
behind, when deciding to adopt Saranagati technique. A
person develops reservations:-

(1)     For a sinner who has committed unpardonable
heinous crimes, how can it be redeemed?
(2)     Small rewards could be conceded, but how may the
Lord concede the Highest Reward- mOksha?
(3)     It is also inconceivable that such an act of
trivial, brief and non- tapas- based nature can secure
the Infinite Bliss of Moksha.
(4)     The reward accrues rather early; may be,
immediately or at the end of this life-time. Bhakti,
strenuous and continuous and demanding discipline and
austerity, does itself take much longer periods even
when the person is wise, learned and karma-qualified.
(5)     How can a particular procedure as upAyA, be common
to all, irrespective of Varna, training, knowledge
etc. acquired by him?

The answer lies in the Lord?s enormous power and His
Grace that is immeasurable and incomprehensible. We
can not judge His capacity and Potency with our tools
or understanding. He does not discriminate on the
criteria that you and I uphold. So, He can grant
moksha as long as He is satisfied. It is His command
in sruthi, smruthi that bhakti yoga and Prapatti are
the only two modes of path for moksha. Our MahaviswAsa
would be strengthened when we bear in mind His
assurances in Srimad Ramayana, Bhagavd Gita and so on.
We ought to cherish the Mighty Confidence henceforth.
We would easily acquire the same mahaviswAsam if we
enjoy the initiation from a SadAcharya, shall we say?
Yes, indeed.

Let us continue to enjoy the 7th verse.

etthanaiyum vaanmaRantha kaalatthum paingoozhkaL
maiththezhuntha maamukilE paartthirukkum maRRavaippOl
meytthuyarveet taavitinum viRRuvakkOt tammaaen
sitthammiga vunpOlE vaippa NnatiyEnE
             5.7

adiyEn mey thuyar veettA vidinum, yenn chittham Unn
paalE miha vaippaen

Oh Lord of VitthuvakkOdu! The clouds, even if they
don?t rain for any length of time, the fields look
upto the skies and dark clouds alone without any
interruption. Similar to those fields, I also have
ananyagatitvam on You, Lord. Even if you do not cut
asunder my sorrows and sins that need to be endured
and suffered by me, adiyEn, this lowly self would
focus my mind towards You and You alone. Meaning: even
if You choose not to banish my sorrows and samsAric
pains, I will endure them while keeping my mind
totally focused on You.

AzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE saraNam
Regards
Namo narayana