Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 8:02 AM
Subject: [Vaideekam] Gaya sraddham - in continuation

I remember the name of the river at Gaya as Phalguni.
At Akshaya Vadam, we heard the following local story from the bruhuspathi.
Lord Rama with Sita came to Gaya and wanted to do the pinda arpanam to his father Dasaratha at this place.  Leaving Sita near a tree, He went to collect materials.  As it took some time, Dasaratha appeared before Sita and said he was hungry and asked Sita to provide him with some food.  Sita pleaded helplessness and asked Dasaratha to wait until Lord Rama comes with the materials.  As Dasaratha could not wait for long, Sita made pindams from sand and offered them to Dasaratha and he enjoyed that food and disappeared.  When Lord Rama returned and heard this, Sita told Him that trees, rivers, beahmins,  etc. were the witnesses to this happening.  But when Lord Rama addressed them, they were silent except the Tree.  Sita cursed all of them except the Tree, and consequently, the Tree alone grew and grew and stands even now to this day, but brahmins were cursed - they would never be content however much they get from karthas - river was cursed, - there is no water in it most of the time and it is dry - but the tree grows and stands in all fame.
The above is subject to my memory being correct.
Adiyen Padmanabha Dasan

Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games. __._,_.___

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list