From: Dr. Sadagopan <yennappan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ponnappan <Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Sgt <saranagathi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:56:58 AM
Subject: [Oppiliappan] Fw: [Vaideekam] Re: New poll for vaideekam

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 7:40 AM
Subject: [Vaideekam] Re: New poll for vaideekam

With the permission of Sri Sadagopachariar Swamy and Sri Deevalur Swamy, may i give below my experience of Gaya Shraddham.
My nephew and I with our families had been to Gaya and performed Gaya Sraddham as follows:
We reached Gaya at about 4 a.m. on sunday march 25, 2007 from New Delhi (Dep. 5 p.m. the previous day) by train No.2302.(Rajdhani exp to calcutta) and checked in at Hotel Ajatasatru, opposite the Rly. Stn.  Prior to our arrival, we had made arrangements with Karnatak Bhawan, South Indian Purohit Shodshi M N Bachu Acharya, Ram Sagar, Nai Sadak Road, near Panch Mahalla, Gaya 823001.  Tel: 0631-2435432/ 2422723 (His card reveals that he is the son of late M Narayan Acharya).
We after morning ablutions at the hotel, reached Karnataka Bhawan around 8 a.m.  If one wants to stay at Karnataka Bhawan, that is also possible but conveniences have to be shared with everyone and privacy may not be possible.  We were taken to another place near a river  (I forget the name of the river) which did not have water and I was told most of the year, except some brief periods, the river will not have water.  Our ladies were asked and helped out in cooking Prasadham in a pot over a native fireplace.  The gents were asked to bathe and guided to perform a Tharpanam for the ancestors on the lines we do Amavasya, Masa tharpanam, etc.  By the time the tharpanam was over, the ladies brought the fresh cooked prasadham (Sadham).  They were asked to make a number of pindams out of it.  (The no. is determined by the Purohit who was acting as Bruhaspathi depending upon our answers to his questions).  Actually, the no. of pindams exceed 30 or 40.  After the pindams were ready, we were asked to do pinda tharpanam  and offer the pindams after the ceremony to cows standing there in plenty.  Again we did more pinda tharpanams and carried the rest of the pindams to a temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu and offered the pindams in a big pit to the Asura said to be there.  (It was said if pindams were not offered on any day, The Asura will rise from his rest and if that happens, all the people living in Gaya will go to moksham and that is not allowed under the Sastras.  To contain the Asura, it was ordained that pindams be offered to him after the ceremonies in memory of our ancestors.  This place is known as Vishnu Padam as the Asura is kept under the Holy Feet of Lord Vishnu to ensure he doesn't rise.
After the above ritual, we went back to Karnataka Bhawan where we did the sraddham as we normally do in our houses as Pratyabhdika Sraddham.  Then the Brahmana Bhojanam.  We had fed 6 brahmins (three on my account and three on my nephew's account).   We gave them new Dhoties to wear before sitting for bhojanam. After that was over, we went to another place called Akshaya Vadam;.  First we offered the pindam earmarked for the Crows near a tree and then were seated in a row, where a ritual was performed by the Bruhuspathi who told stories as to the importance and significance of the Gaya Sraddham.  Only at this point, the brahmanas who took bhojanam say "Thripthosmi" .  We were then asked to surrender one Vegetable, Fruit, Leaf and we after surrendering that cannot have them during the rest of our lives.  (I and my wife surrendered Kothavarankai, Sappota Fruit and Ala Ilai).  The bruhuspathy said we should not surrender banana, pala, etc. and we have to choose other than those that can't be surrendered.  Then under a tree, we made some offerings and that tree is called Akshaya Vadam.  The rituals and ceremonies were then over and we came back to Karnataka Bhawan for taking our food.  After food we disbursed.

The above rituals and ceremonies started around 9 a.m. and by the time we took our food it was 4 p.m.  Everything ended there.  I do not recollect having done Barehani Tharpanam.

My observations are -
1.  If one can go to Gaya once in a life time, one should do that and also do the sraddham as per procedures prescribed by local pundits.  These are more or less the same as we do here at our homes and nothing much different could be noticed.
2.  The Karnataka Bhawan authorities charge very reasonably and we will not find it taxing.
3.  For the above charges, which is uniform for each Kartha, accommodation to stay for one night is also provided there if you do not mind sharing conveniences like bath, toilet, etc.
4.  For the duration of the stay, food is provided free apart  from sraddha meals.
5.  The In-charge there seems to be a dedicated person and doing a great service.
6.  I remember to have read in Valmiki Ramayana about one's duty to do Gaya Sraddham. (I may be corrected if I sound wrong).

On the whole, it was a satisfying experience for me.

In fact, we planned two days there.  In one day, everything was over and in the second day, we went to Bodhgaya as  tourists.
On March 27th, at 5.30 a.m. we left Gaya by train and arrived at Mughal Sarai at 8.30 a.m.   We left by car to Varanasi  arrived there at 10.30 a.m.   After spending most of the day at Kasi (Varanasi/Benares) we left at 5 p.m. to Allahabad by car. (120 km)  We arrived at Allahabad around 9 p.m. and stayed at Prayag Presidency for the night.  Next day, we had holy dip at Thiruveni Sangamam (We did some rituals sitting at the boat in the midst of the river and after that went into the water for a holy dip.  Next day, at 8 a.m. we left by car to Ayodhya (90 km).  After spending the day there, we left in the evening for Lucknow to board a night train to Mathura.  And then to Brindavan and back to Delhi.

I am not too sure as to what all I did at Gaya, Kasi and Allahabad are approved by our sampradayam.  But in my upbringing, I have heard elders say that we should visit these holy places when we get a chance.  Regarding Sraddham, we say "Gaya, Gaya, Gaya' and "Akshaya Vada, Akshaya Vada, Akshaya Vada" and my instinct says that we visit Gaya and Akshaya Vada and perform as per the local pundits' guidance.

I am sorry for this long message and I thought some members would be interested.
Adiyen Padmanabha Dasan

T V Padmanabhan
Advocate
A-20 Arcot Terrace
160 Arcot Road, Vadapalani
Chennai 600 026, India
Tel: 91-44-23650911; 98400 52787

Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. __._,_.___

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list