You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00142 Jul 2008

Jul 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

NOTE: Readers having difficulty in reading the text may need to change their
encoding to UTF-8.
----------------------
srI:
SrI  sAra  sAram â I (37)
--
I â ThirumantrAdhikAram
                --
The Significance of ânamahâ (continued)
---
        SwAmi Desikan concludes this section on the middle word, that is,
ânamahâ, of the Tirumanthiram with a verse in Tamil:
yAnenathenpathu onRillai en ceivathu avanai allAl
AnathaRinthiDum thannaDiyArkku enai ATpaDutthit
thAn enai nalki naDatthukinRAn than aruL vazhiyE
nAnunai veeDu ceivEn enRa nam thirunAraNanE.
        In this verse, Swami Desikan provides the answer to a question that may
arise in our mind after studying the detailed explanation of the middle word of
the ashThAkshara mantram, which is known as the Tirumanthiram. The question is:
Who is the target of this means of prapatti (surrender)? We shall first take up
word by word meaning of the verse:
 âyAn enathu enpathu onRu illaiâ -- There is nothing as âIâ or
âmineâ.
âavanai allAlâ â Without that Lord of mine,
âceivathu en?â â what is left for me to do?
ânAn unai veeDu ceivEn enRa nam thirunAraNanâ â Our Lord, SrImaN
nArayaNan, Who promised, âI will grant you liberation from this samsAraâ
âthAn enai nalkiâ â showered His compassion on me
âAnathu aRinthiDum than aDiyArkku enai ATpaDutthiâ --  placed me to serve
His devotees who are highly knowledgeable.
âthan aruL vazhiyE naDatthukinRAnâ â and in His compassionate way, He
puts me on the good path (of adopting the means).
you from the bondage of the samsAra and grant you mOksha.â Out of compassion
towards me, He made me a servant of His devotees; graced me by involving me in
the adoption of the means of prapatti; He removed ahankAra and mamakAra, the
sense of âIâ and âmineâ from me. Being totally dependent upon Him, what
can I do without His grace?
        In this verse, the expression, âyAn enathu ilaiâ, refers to the
removal of self-pride and self-ownership; by âen ceivathu?â,  it is meant
âI am not independentâ; the second line of the verse emphasizes that I am a
servant of the bhAgavtas; and third line reveals the means of surrender. These
are the very essence of the word, ânamahâ of the Tirmanthiram.
        With this ends this sub-section on the middle word, ânamahâ of the
Tirumanthiram.

(To continue)
dAsan
anbil SrInivAsan